Ocracoke shark bite victim released from Greenville hospital

A former newspaper editor who was attacked by a shark while vacationing on Ocracoke Island has been released from the hospital.

In a statement, Andrew Costello said he was discharged from Vidant Medical Center on Saturday.

"While I'm glad to be home, I remain focused on my long road of recovery," Costello said in a statement released Monday. "I want to thank my family, friends and staff at Vidant Medical Center for their love, support and excellent care that I received."

On July 1, authorities said the 67-year-old former editor-in-chief of the Boston Herald was attacked by a six to seven foot shark some 25-30 feet off shore.

Doctors said Costello received a major shark bite to his thigh.

The Massachusetts man called it a frightening and painful shark attack.

So far this summer there have been eight people attacked by sharks along our coast.


Previous Story

The man attacked by a shark on Ocracoke Island remains in the hospital in good condition.

In a statement sent out Monday, Andrew Costello again asked the media for privacy.

He said, "As of July 6, I remain in good condition at Vidant Medical Center in Greenville, N.C., where I continue to receive excellent care from a shark bite that occurred on July 1. I would like to take this opportunity and thank the public for their well wishes, thoughts and concerns. At this time, I'm focused on my recovery and will not be doing media interviews. I would like to again ask the media to please respect my privacy as well as the privacy of my family as I recover from this traumatic experience."

On July 1, authorities said the 67-year-old former newspaper editor was attacked by a six to seven foot shark some 25-30 feet off shore.

Doctors say Costello received a major, but non-lethal shark bite to his thigh.

Dr. Eric Toschlog, chief of trauma at Vidant Medical Center, said they are optimistic that Costello will make a full recovery.

The Massachusetts man called it a frightening and painful shark attack. He was the seventh person in three weeks to be attacked by sharks along our coast.

A Camp Lejeune spokesman on Monday confirmed an eighth shark bite victim at Surf City over July 4th weekend.


Previous Story

A statement from Vidant Medical Center Friday says Andrew Costello remains in good condition as he recovers from a shark bite and at his request the hospital will not be providing any more updates on his condition.

In a statement sent out Thursday, Costello said he feels fortunate to have survived the attack and thanked the "incredible assistance I received from medical personnel on the beach, both those on duty and vacation."

Authorities say the 67-year-old former newspaper editor was attacked by a six to seven foot shark some 25-30 feet off shore.

Doctors say Costello received a major, but non-lethal shark bite to his thigh.

"While his injuries will require multiple additional operations, as of July 2, he has been upgraded to good condition," said Dr. Eric Toschlog, chief of trauma at Vidant.

Dr. Toschlog says they are optimistic that he will make a full recovery..

Costello called it a frightening and painful shark attack.

"I want to thank everyone from the Ocracoke National Park Service lifeguards to the EMTs and hospital medical staff for their professionalism and excellent care," said Costello in a statement.

The Massachusetts man is the seventh person in three weeks to be attacked by sharks along our coast.


Previous Story

Few people ventured very far into the ocean a day after a Massachusetts man was bitten multiple times by a shark off Ocracoke Island.

Andrew Costello remains at Vidant Medical Center. The 67-year-old vacationer.was flown to the hospital Wednesday after he was attacked while swimming at Lifeguard Beach.

The hospital said last night he was in fair condition and this morning reported there were no new updates.

Costello is a former editor-in-chief for the Boston Herald, leaving the paper in 2004.

The Herald is reporting that Costello texted them this morning that he is "doing well" and "in recovery."

Hyde County Emergency Services Director Justin Gibbs says the 67-year-old Costello was attacked by a six to seven foot long shark. It happened around 12:15 p.m.

"He was swimming immediately in front of the lifeguard tower, just past the first set of breakers, when he encountered the shark," said Gibbs. "He actually said he bumped into the shark and that's when the shark bit him and pulled him under."

Thursday morning the beach was crowded with visitors, but when WITN was there no one was in the water above their knees.

This is the third attack on the Outer Banks since Friday, and the seventh in the state in three weeks.


Previous Story

The man bitten multiple times by a shark off Ocracoke Island is identified as Andrew Costello.

Vidant Health confirmed the identity of the 67-year-old Massachusetts man, who is in fair condition at Vidant Medical Center in Greenville.

Hyde County Emergency Services Director Justin Gibbs says Costello was attacked by a six to seven foot long shark. It happened around 12:15 p.m. at Lifeguard Beach.

"He was swimming immediately in front of the lifeguard tower, just past the first set of breakers, when he encountered the shark," said Gibbs. "He actually said he bumped into the shark and that's when the shark bit him and pulled him under."

A lifeguard at the beach saw the man being pulled under by the shark.

"They found the patient had been bitten multiple times," said Gibbs. "The patient described the shark as gray in color, six to seven feet. It pulled him under. He sustained injuries to his left side around his rib cage, his hip which was the most significant injury and his lower leg and both hands."

So far this summer there have been seven confirmed shark attacks on North Carolina beaches.


Previous Story

Hyde County officials say a swimmer was bitten multiple times by a shark Wednesday afternoon on Ocracoke Island.

Emergency Services Director Justin Gibbs says the 67-year-old man from Massachusetts was attacked by a six to seven foot long shark.

It happened around 12:15 p.m. at Lifeguard Beach.

"He was swimming immediately in front of the lifeguard tower, just past the first set of breakers, when he encountered the shark," said Gibbs. "He actually said he bumped into the shark and that's when the shark bit him and pulled him under."

A lifeguard at the beach saw the man being pulled under by the shark.

"They found the patient had been bitten multiple times," said Gibbs. "The patient described the shark as gray in color, six to seven feet. It pulled him under. He sustained injuries to his left side around his rib cage, his hip which was the most significant injury and his lower leg and both hands."

The man was stable and alert, according to Gibbs and was flown to Vidant Medical Center in Greenville.

So far this summer there have been seven confirmed shark attacks on North Carolina beaches.

The first attack happened on June 11th at Ocean Isle Beach in Brunswick County. Then on June 14th, two teenagers lost limbs in separate attacks at Oak Island.

The next shark bite happened on June 24th at Surf City, followed by attacks on June 26th at Avon and another the next day in Waves.