The FBI is offering a reward in that nearly $5 million gold heist that happened earlier this month in Wilson County.
The $25,000 reward was announced today in Miami where the gold shipment originated.
The tractor trailer with gold, silver and other valuables stopped on Interstate 95 back on March 1st after one of the guards for Transvalue, Inc. became sick.
The guard was approached by at least two armed men who announced themselves as "Policia". The men gave instructions in Spanish, using zip-ties to tie up the guards. They were led into the woods.
The gunman broke into the trailer, making off with approximately $4.9 million in gold bars. Authorities say they left behind another $5 million in silver.
Transvalue is offering a $50,000 reward in the case as well.
If anyone has information as to the identity of these robbers, they are urged to call the FBI at (754) 703-2000 or Crimestoppers.
The case of a nearly $5 million gold heist in Eastern Carolina is developing, as search warrants show investigators believe it could have been an inside job. This as sketches of the robbers are released by the sheriff.
As we first reported, the two armed security guards with Transvalue Inc. said they had mechanical problems and pulled over near mile marker 114 of I-95.
But the warrants released today indicate a truck passenger felt sick so the truck pulled over.
That's when it was reported a white van pulled over, too, and three armed men ordered the truck security guards to get down on the ground.
The warrants show detectives are investigating the timing of the unannounced stop and how the suspects knew where to find the gold.
The search warrant says the gunmen first tried to steal the truck, but could not get it started. They then removed unmarked five gallon buckets that contained approximately 275 pounds of gold bars.
The trio left behind some $5 million worth of silver in the truck.
Investigators used the warrant to search the cell phone of the driver of the 18-wheeler.
At an afternoon news conference, Sheriff Calvin Woodard said they are not calling the heist an "inside job", while they continue to investigate all possibilities.
The sheriff also released artist sketches of two of the three robbers.
He said the truck had left a Dillon, SC truck stop and in Wilson County they started smelling a fuel smell. Woodard said the passenger got sick and they pulled over.
The sheriff said the two guards left the truck without their firearms, a violation of company policy, and were approached by the gunmen. He said the bars taken weighed between 25 and 27 pounds each.
Woodard said a diesel mechanic checked the big rig out and found no problems with it.
At least one of the robbers told the guards that they were police officers.
The Wilson County Sheriff's Office could release more information Wednesday afternoon about the $4 million gold heist that happened Sunday.
The press conference is scheduled for 1 p.m.
No suspects have been named in the massive theft that happened on the shoulder of I-95 Sunday evening.
The FBI has been contacted for assistance in this case.
Several confused drivers describe a chaotic scene shortly after the robbery of millions of dollars in gold bars from a Wilson County interstate.
Authorities on Tuesday released the 911 calls from Sunday night's heist of more than $4-million in gold from a broken down tractor trailer.
The Wilson County Sheriff's Office says the truck was hauling a shipment of gold and silver from Miami to Attleboro, Massachusetts.
The two armed security guards with Transvalue Inc. said they had mechanical problems and pulled over near mile marker 114 of I-95. A white van pulled over, too, and three armed men ordered the truck security guards to get down on the ground.
On the 911 call one motorist told dispatchers that he saw two men in guard uniforms that had their hands tied behind their backs.
Caller: "It looks like they have some sort of guard uniform on. They've got their hands zip-tied behind their backs and they are out in the road trying to flag people down to call the police."
911: "A guard uniform?" Caller: "It looks like they have a badge on the front of it."
The caller reluctantly stopped and was told by the guards that the robbers also took their weapons. The guards said the truck was carrying gold, silver, diamonds and other valuables.
Another person called 911 and reported seeing two men tied up near the 114 mile marker in the middle of the road. The woman told the dispatcher she was afraid to stop her vehicle.
Transvalue Inc. said it was offering a $50,000 reward in the case.
More than four million dollars in gold bars was stolen from an 18-wheeler pulled over on the side of Interstate 95.
The Wilson County Sheriff's Office says a truck hauling a shipment of gold and silver from Miami to Attleboro, Massachusetts Sunday night broke down on I-95 in Wilson County around 6:45 p.m.
The two armed security guards with Transvalue Inc. said they had mechanical problems and pulled over near mile marker 114. A white van pulled over, too, and three armed men ordered the truck security guards to get down on the ground.
Deputies say the criminals tied the victim's hands behind their backs and made them walk into the woods. The crooks then drove off with several barrels of gold from the Transvalue truck, worth more than $4 million.
WITN News has learned the truck was an 18-wheeler, and the locks on the back doors appeared to have been cut or sawed off. The big rig is all white, except for having the company's logo on the sides of the cab.
Transvalue, which is a Miami-based company that transports valuables, says none of their employees were hurt. A spokesperson said he wasn't at liberty to say whether their trucks have surveillance cameras on board or not.
The company says a $50,000 reward is being offered. The bars weighed about 275 pounds.
Transvalue says the truck carrying the loot left Miami around 4:00 a.m. Sunday.
The sheriff's office says they've contacted the FBI about the case. Anyone with information should contact the Wilson County Sheriff's Office at (252) 237-2118.