RICHMOND, Va. (ECU) - The ECU women’s tennis team extended its winning streak with a 4-0 sweep at Richmond on Saturday afternoon.
ECU (20-2) has won 20 games in a single season for the first time in program history, having topped out at 19 victories in both the 2006 and 2007 seasons.
While the Pirates ended up clinching the doubles point, it was hotly contested. ECU struck first when Celia Ruiz and Minette Van Vreden beat Dessi Zlateva and Lea Owens 6-2 on court two. However, the Spiders answered when Emily Dunbar and Kiana Marshall beat Alisa Diercksen and Lisa Hofbauer 6-3 on the top court. It was the first loss for Diercksen and Hofbauer in 14 matches.
Needing to win the third and final match to clinch the point, the Pirates got a valuable contribution from Nastja Rettich and Hsia Ho Chiao. The ECU duo beat Lyndell Griffenig and Adrienne Haynes 6-4 to give ECU a 1-0 lead. It was the second time in four matches that Rettich and Chiao clinched the doubles point.
After the tight doubles point, the singles matches were not nearly as close. Coming into Saturday, three Pirates had winning streaks of 12 or more and all three extended those steaks. First to finish was Diercksen, as the sophomore rolled past Zlateva 6-2, 6-0 for her 14th straight victory.
Ruiz was not far behind Diercksen, beating Marshall 6-1, 6-2 on court two. The match was clinched when Rettich topped Haynes 6-1, 6-2 on court six.
ECU has finished the road portion of its regular season slate and just three home matches stand between the Pirates and the postseason. The first of those three matches is a contest against American Conference foe Cincinnati on Friday, April 12.
1. Lisa Hofbauer (ECU) vs. Emily Dunbar (Richmond) 6-2, 2-5, unfinished
2. Celia Ruiz (ECU) def. Kiana Marshall (Richmond) 6-1, 6-2
3. Alisa Diercksen (ECU) def. Dessi Zlateva (Richmond) 6-2, 6-0
4. Minette Van Vreden (ECU) vs. Lea Owens (Richmond) 4-6, 3-2, unfinished
5. Hsia Ho Chiao (ECU) vs. Helene Heiberg (Richmond) 3-6, 1-2, unfinished
6. Nastja Rettich (ECU) def. Adrienne Haynes 6-1, 6-2
1. Emily Dunbar/Kiana Marshall (Richmond) def. Alisa Diercksen/Lisa Hofbauer (ECU) 6-3
2. Celia Ruiz/Minette Van Vreden (ECU) def. Dessi Zlateva/Lea Owens (Richmond) 6-2
3. Nastja Rettich/Hsia Ho Chiao (ECU) def. Lyndell Griffenig/Adrienne Haynes (Richmond) 6-4
Order of finish: Singles (3,2,6); Doubles (2,1,3)