Tar Heels take home ACC Baseball Tournament Title
Aaron Sabato and Ashton McGee each hit two-run homers during a four-run sixth inning, and North Carolina won the Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship by beating Georgia Tech 10-2 on Sunday.
Tournament MVP Michael Busch added a solo homer in the seventh, Brandon Martorano hit a three-run shot in the ninth and four pitchers combined on a four-hitter for the fifth-seeded Tar Heels (42-17).
They finished the tournament 4-0 and earned their seventh ACC Baseball Championship title, their third since 2007.
The second-seeded Yellow Jackets (41-17) had just three hits and five baserunners after the first inning. They had their three-game winning streak snapped and were denied their 10th league title.
Danny Serretti chased Bartnicki with a single to left, and two batters later, McGee launched a homer off Jake Lee to the same seating section of the Triple-A Durham Bulls’ ballpark to put North Carolina up 5-1.
Winning pitcher Hansen Butler (4-0), working for the third straight day, struck out two and walked two in 2 2/3 innings of relief of starter Connor Ollio.
After losing three of their final five regular-season games, the Tar Heels found their groove this week in nearby Durham. They needed extra innings to win both their games in pool play, then won two games in the four-team, single-elimination bracket by a combined 23-7.
Bartnicki (2-2) allowed hits to four of the six hitters he faced for Georgia Tech.
Georgia Tech took a 1-0 lead with an unearned run in the third, with Jackson Webb scoring easily from third after Martorano’s pickoff throw kicked past Ike Freeman. The Yellow Jackets put just two more men on base the rest of the way.
2019 ACC BASEBALL CHAMPIONSHIP ALL-TOURNAMENT
The 2019 All-ACC Baseball Championship All-Tournament Team, as chosen by a select media panel:
C – Michael Rothenberg, Duke
1B – Michael Busch, North Carolina (MVP)
2B – Cody Morissette, Boston College
3B – Ike Freeman, North Carolina
SS – Danny Serretti, North Carolina
OF – Joe Suozzi, Boston College
OF – Nick Wilhite, Georgia Tech
OF – J.C. Flowers, Florida State
UT/DH – Michael Guldberg, Georgia Tech
P – Dan Metzdorf, Boston College
P – Mat Clark, Clemson
ACC TITLE GAME NOTES
- North Carolina is now 7-5 in ACC Baseball Championship title games, including a 3-1 mark under current head coach Mike Fox (winning in 2007, 2013 and this year; losing in 2017).
- UNC owns 11 ACC baseball titles overall, winning four times during years in which the regular-season winner earned the title (1960, 1964, 1966 and 1969).
- Three of UNC’s ACC Baseball Championship titles have come in the city of Durham (1984, 2013 and 2019).
- Georgia Tech is now 9-4 in ACC Baseball Championship title games … The Yellow Jackets are 10-6 all-time versus North Carolina in the ACC Baseball Championship.
- The two-run homer by UNC’s Aaron Sabato that gave the Tar Heels a 3-1 lead in the top of the sixth was his 14th of the season, one behind the school freshman record of 14 set by Chad Flack in 2015.