Second Half Surge Leads Drexel Over ECU

Published: Mar. 30, 2018 at 4:45 PM EDT
Email this link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

GREENVILLE, N.C. --- ECU led Drexel 7-6 at halftime, but the Dragons shut out the Pirates in the second half and scored nine goals to post a 15-7 win Friday afternoon.


ECU (2-11); DREXEL (3-7)


Drexel had 13 more shots than the Pirates, 39-26, including 16 in the second half (25-9).

ECU won 18 of 24 draw controls with senior Morgan Cheripko capturing 13 of them.

The Dragons converted 6-of-13 free position shots, while ECU was 0-of-4.

The Pirates had seven more turnovers than the Dragons and were whistled for nine more fouls (21-12).

Sophomore Emma Bowman recorded her third hat trick of the season for ECU.

Freshman Megan Pallozzi netted two goals, while Nicole LeGar and Ally Stanton scored one goal each.

Drexel’s Cassidy Delany led all players with four goals with Colleen Grady and Jamie Schneidereith adding three each for the Dragons.


“In the second half I thought we played really tough defensively, we just a lot of defense. When you play defense that long, you’re bound to give up some goals. Drexel was able to capitalize a lot of second chance loose balls; those ground balls count, and they matter, so we have to value those.

“The takeaway for me is that we played gritty for 60 minutes. We didn’t give up, we didn’t back down despite the score and despite giving up a little bit of a run in the second half. Our defense kept fighting and kept tackling. We’ve just got to get that on both ends of the field for 60 minutes to win the game.” - ECU Head Coach Amanda Barnes


After surrendering the first two goals of the game, ECU got on the board less than three minutes on Pallozzi’s first goal of the contest.

Drexel built a 4-2 led before back-to-back goals from Bowman and Stanton tied the game with 13:23 left to play in the half.

The two teams exchanged goals over the next three minutes until Delaney put the Dragons ahead 6-5 with 9:04 left before halftime.

Bowman tied the game at 6-all with 1:54 remaining in the half then Stanton gave ECU the halftime lead, 7-6, scoring with 36 second left before intermission.

Drexel’s Karson Harris tied the game on a free position shot three after the second half began and Delaney scored the game-winning goal 2:18 later.


ECU closes out its inaugural home season Sunday, April 1, at 12 noon against Oregon.

Latest News

Latest News