Pirates hit the century mark in 103-37 win over Tigers
GREENVILLE, N.C. – The ECU women's basketball team (7-5) hit the century mark for the first time since last year’s opener against Greensboro with a 103-37 win over Savannah State (2-8) Wednesday night. Ariyana Williams had a career-high 34 points while Alex Frazier dished out a career-high 12 assists and fell two points shy of her first career double-double. The win tied the Pirates’ largest margin of victory, by 66, in program history.
The Pirates took a commanding 29-11 lead in the first quarter and never looked back. ECU shot a season-best 51.4 percent from the field and was 55.6 percent from three-point range. Williams’ six treys marked the first time a Pirate tallied five-or-more three-pointers in a game since Antoinette Bannister made five against Greensboro College in 2016.
ECU held Savannah State’s offense to 17 percent from the field while Kaylee Allen was the team’s leading scorer with nine points.
The Pirates lead the all-time series 2-1 following Wednesday night’s meeting.
ECU (7-5), Savannah State (2-8)
Macy's on the game plan
"The game plan for us is that we are still a basketball team that is learning how to win so the message tonight is that we don’t let up.”
Ariyana Williams on how it felt to have a career game
“It feels great. I feel like being on like that, it gets my team going and everyone has a lot of energy and gets hype. Coach [Macy] tells us that we we are feeling it, tell her, and she will run plays when we are feeling hot like that.”
Alex Frazier on the team scoring 100+ points
“We’ve only done it once since I’ve been here and that was against Greensboro College. And every time we can, it is definitely a team effort because that means that everyone has contributed and everyone has played. That’s what we did before the break – we were here and none of us checked out.”
News and Notes
• ECU improved to 2-1 all-time against Savannah State
• Ariyana Williams had a career-high 34 points and became the first player to score 30+ points in a game since Kristen Gaffney scored 32 against Ball State in 2016.
• The Pirates scored 100+ points for the first time since a season-opening victory over Greensboro College Nov. 10, 2016.
• Alex Frazier dished out a career-high 12 assists helping the team to a total of 26 assists, a season high.
• ECU’s 29 points in the first quarter was a season high for total points in a quarter
• The win tied the largest margin of victory, by 66, in program history.
• The Pirates shot a season-best 51.4 percent from the field and was 55.6 percent from behind the arc.
ECU takes a quick holiday break and returns to Williams Arena at Minges Coliseum on Thursday, Dec. 28, when the Pirates host Maryland-Eastern Shore at 7 p.m.