2 cups dried black beans
1 large onion, peeled and coarsely chopped
4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
a 2 inch piece of ginger peeled and minced
3 tbls ghee
1/2 tsp tumeric
1/2 tsp - 1 tsp cayenne
1 tsp coriander, toasted and ground
2 bay leaves, torn into pieces
1 tsp salt
2 tsp vegetable oil
1 1/2 cumin seeds
1 tsp brown mustard seeds
1/2 tsp ground asafetida
1 16 ounce can chopped tomatoes w/juice
1 tsp garam masala
garnish: 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
Directions- soak beans in 4 cups water at least 8 hours
- drain beans and rinse
- place beans in a dutch oven or rondeau
- add onion, garlic, 1/2 of the Ghee, turmeric, cayenne, coriander, bay leaves, salt and 4 cups cold water.
- in a small skillet heat oil over medium high heat, when hot add the cumin, mustard seeds and asafetida. Let sizzle and pop about 30 seconds.
- remove from heat and pour into the bean pot. Stir the mixture to blend and bring to a boil over high heat.
- reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 30 minutes.
- remove the lid, add the tomatoes and return to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered until the beans are soft, about 25 - 30 minutes.
- if needed add a little more water to help cook beans!!! Only if the beans are still tough!!
- stir in the garam masala and cook for another 5 minutes. Mix in the remaining ghee and serve garnished with cilantro.