- Preheat over to 350 degrees.
- Whisk flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a
medium bowl. In another bowl, a shallow one, place 1/2 cup sugar and
- In another bowl, beat butter and remaining cup of sugar
with electric mixed until combined. Beat in egg and then molasses. Turn
mixer to low and then gradually beat in dry ingredients until a dough
- Pinch off sections of dough and roll into balls. Each one
should be about 1 tablespoon. Roll balls in sugar you set aside in
- Put balls on baking sheets, about 3 inches apart. Bake
until edges firm up, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- If you want the “crackle” look, you
need to bake one sheet at a time. You can bake two sheets at a time,
but then you won’t get the uniform
- Cool 1 minute on baking sheets, then move to racks to cool
- The cookies will stay fresh in an airtight
container for 3 to 4 days.