Puppies killed in overnight fire in Beaufort County

Published: Jan. 5, 2017 at 5:50 AM EST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

Fire crews say a litter of puppies died after a barn caught on fire early Thursday morning.

The Bunyan Fire Department and Chocowinity Fire Department responded to the fire in the metal shed at 101 Harvette Road in Beaufort County. The call came in at 1:47 a.m.

Lt. Coleman with Chocowinity Fire says the barn was fully engulfed when they arrived.

Fire officials say an old-style coil heater was in the barn, along with with a heat lamp, to keep the puppies warm. Chief David Lewis of the Bunyan Volunteer Fire Department reports the owner said the heater was not on, so the heat lamp most likely was the cause of the fire.

In addition to the puppies, a car was also in the barn.