GREENVILLE, N.C. (WITN) - Adults have a warning for children -- stop playing with electrical outlets.
Plymouth Fire Dept./MGN
By now, you might have come across the Outlet Challenge on social media. Kids have been putting pennies between phone charger cubes or packs and the outlet, which creates a dangerous spark.
Kids have been doing this at school or even in their own home. Fire officials warn that this could cause a fire inside a wall without even knowing it. While some kids might think it's funny and cool, it's extremely dangerous. Kids, or adults, can get hurt because of the possibility of a fire or electrocution.
In some states pending the outcome of the challenge, those involved could potentially face charges for damages.