Father in Washington motel pool drowning has died

Published: Aug. 15, 2016 at 5:42 PM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

Hospital officials confirm that the father in Monday's drowning at a motel pool has died.

Demetrius Palmer, Sr. and his 10-year-old son, Demetrius Palmer, Jr. were discovered in the Days Inn pool around 5:20 p.m.

The child died later that evening at Vidant Beaufort Hospital, while emergency workers were able to get a pulse back on the father. He had been in critical condition at Vidant Medical Center.

Washington police have not said what may have led up to the drownings.

Previous Story

Authorities have confirmed the names of a 10-year-old who died and his father who remains critically injured after Monday's pool accident in Washington.

Police have identified the victims as Demetrius Palmer, Jr. and his father, Demetrius Palmer, Sr.

Vidant Medical Center says the 42-year-old father was in critical condition Tuesday afternoon.

Police say the two were spotted around 5:20 p.m. in the Days Inn pool by a passerby who ran to the motel office to call 911.

Both victims were found unresponsive on the ground next to the pool and being assisted by citizens who started CPR, according to police.

The boy was immediately rushed to the hospital by rescue crews, while other emergency workers managed to get a pulse back from the father.

Family members say the boy was from New York and visiting his father.

Police have not said what the circumstance were before the drowning.

Previous Story

Washington's fire chief confirms that a boy has died after drowning Monday in the Days Inn pool.

Family members says the victim was a 10 year old boy, while his father is still hospitalized.

Chief Robbie Rose says the second victim was transported to Vidant Medical Center.

The first call came in around 5:20 p.m. to the Days Inn on Carolina Avenue about a possible drowning.

Captain William Chrismon with Washington police says a person saw the two people in the pool and went to the front desk to call 911.

The call went out as an "urgent response", with every nearby emergency unit responding, according to Chrismon.

Within minutes, a Washington EMS ambulance rushed a child to the hospital, while other EMS workers were performing CPR on another patient, who is an adult man. An EMS worker told WITN that they had gotten a pulse back on the second patient, who was then put into an ambulance.

We're told the boy's mother lives in New York and last night was on her way to Washington.