Home for the Holidays: Dave's Roasted Red Pepper Puffs
DAVE JORDAN: Roasted Red Pepper Puffs
This is a great, tasty and easy recipe for a holiday gathering, get together with friends, or to watch the game. This recipe will make 9 appetizers. Puff pastry usually comes with two in a box, so you can easily double the recipe and make 18.
1 sheet defrosted puff pastry (or both to double the recipe)
1 tsp. of pesto for each puff you are making (Dave uses store bought, but of course you can make your own!)
1 tsp. of chopped roasted red peppers for each puff you are making
Your favorite shredded cheese, use as much or little as you want
(Dave uses mozzarella, provolone or havarti and sometimes all three!)
1 egg mixed with tablespoon of water for egg wash.
Oregano and garlic powder-optional.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray cookie sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- Let puff pastry thaw. Cut into strips along the folds, then each strip into 3 for a total of nine squares.
- As you assemble, roll a square into a 4 or 5 inch square (use flour if needed) add a teaspoon of pesto, then a teaspoon of peppers, topped with a teaspoon of cheese.
- Use egg wash along the edges, then pull together opposite corners and seal.
- After all 9 are on the cookie sheet use egg wash on top.
(If you would like, you can sprinkle oregano and garlic powder on top)
- Bake for 20 minutes and enjoy.
You can serve these hot or at room temperature. Dave prefers room temperature as it gives time for all of the ingredients to come together and the puff pastry isn't as flaky. These will definitely disappear quickly at any gathering you have!