Mosquitoes thrive in the moist environments left behind by the flooding and rainfall from Hurricane Florence, so one local health department is urging people to be diligent about protecting themselves against the pests.
The Carteret County Health Department is reminding people of the "5 D's" for prevention.
- Dusk and Dawn
- Minimize time outdoors when mosquitoes are active.
- Mosquitoes often bite just before or after sunset.
- Wear loose, light-colored clothing that covers most of your skin.
- It's recommended you use repellents with DEET when you know there is a potential you'll be exposed to mosquitoes.
- Check your home and get rid of any areas of standing water.
- Mosquitoes lay their eggs in those puddles and areas of still water.