Officials: Flash fire likely result of static electricity

KINSTON, N.C. (WITN) - Kinston Fire Captain William Barss says a propane tank flash fire that sent one man to the hospital was likely the result of static electricity.

Capt. Barss says an Amerigas employee was refilling a propane tank at MasterBrand Cabinets in Kinston on Thursday afternoon when a flash fire broke out above the tank.

Barss says a male Amerigas employee was taken to Vidant Medical Center, though he couldn't give any details on the extent of the man's injuries.

There was no damage to the nearby building.

Previous Story:

Authorities say a propane tank may have sparked a fire at a local business, sending one person to the hospital.

Kinston Fire Captain William Barss says it happened at the MasterBrand Cabinets in Kinston around 4:30 p.m. Thursday.

Capt. Barrs says propane tanks were being filled when a flash fire broke out.

One person was taken to the hospital. There's no word on whether that person was an employee or how seriously he or she is hurt.

The situation is still under investigation.