Firefighters respond to gas leak in Kinston

KINSTON, N.C. (WITN) - Two homes were impacted by a small gas leak in Kinston early Sunday.

Firefighters with Kinston Fire & Rescue responded to 711 1/2 East Caswell Street around 8:30 a.m.

Officials say a gas meter was damaged by a car and caused the leak.

Fire crews stood by until Piedmont Natural Gas arrived and cleaned up the leak.

The scene cleared just before noon.

The two houses that were impacted were later checked to make sure the readings were good and that no natural gas leaked into the house.