OFFICIAL: Fairfield Harbour home explosion happened when homeowner lit dryer pilot light

CRAVEN COUNTY, N.C. (WITN)- Authorities say a house exploded when the homeowner tried to light a pilot light on a gas clothes dryer Thursday afternoon.

It happened on Caracara Drive in Fairfield Harbour in Craven County around 12:30 p.m.

Craven County Emergency Services Director Stanley Kite says that one of the homeowners told him that he tried to light the pilot light on the dryer when the explosion happened.

The owner of the home, Bobbie Fogle, tells us that her husband, Kaiser, and daughter, Kristin, were inside when the blast happened.

She says her husband was taken to the hospital for smoke inhalation but did not appear to be seriously injured in the blast.

Kristin Fogle was checked out by EMS on the scene.

Fogle tells us that they think the propane tank may have played a role in the explosion.

Several agencies responded to the fire. Those included Tri-Community Fire & Rescue, Little Swift Creek Volunteer Fire Department, Olympia Volunteer Fire Department, & Bridgeton EMS.

Debris from the explosion blew more than 200 feet across the street from the home, while a house next door was also damaged by the intense fire.