GREENVILLE, N.C. (WITN)- The UNC System and ECU trustees have announced the formation of a chancellor search committee.
In a joint press release, UNC System President Bill Roper and ECU Board of Trustees Chair Vern Davenport say that the 20-member committee is made up of leaders, administrators, faculty, staff, alumni, and students at ECU.
We're told that the committee will work to make recommendations to the full ECU Board of Trustees, which will then vote on candidates to recommend to Dr. Roper.
In turn, Dr. Roper will recommend a candidate to the UNC Board of Governors which will elect the new chancellor.
The process is expected to take six to nine months.
The East Carolina University Chancellor Search Committee will consist of the following individuals:
- Vern Davenport, chair of the ECU Board of Trustees, will serve as chair of the ECU Chancellor Search Committee. A resident of Raleigh, Davenport is an ECU alumnus (1980 BS Business Administration, 1981 MBA) and Athletics letter winner. He is a partner at NovaQuest Private Equity, a Raleigh-based health care investment firm.
- Michael Aho of McLean, Virginia; ECU alumnus (2002 BS in Communications), analyst with the U.S. State Department, current chair of the ECU Alumni Association Board, and member of ECU Board of Visitors.
- Angela Allen of Raleigh; ECU alumna (1981 BA in Computer Science, 1995 MBA), managing partner of A Cubed Consulting, LLC, retired IBM executive, and ECU Alumni Association Distinguished Alumni Award recipient.
- Michelle Bone of Greenville; ECU alumna (2018 BSBA in Marketing); ECU Staff Senate chair and delegate for UNC System Staff Assembly.
- Caroline Bevillard of Greenville; senior associate athletics director and senior women’s administrator.
- Cassandra Burt of Emerald Isle; ECU alumna, philanthropist, member of the Medical and Health Sciences Foundation Board, and the Pirate Club Board.
- Crystal Chambers of Clayton; vice chair of ECU Faculty, associate professor in the College of Education.
- John Cooper of Raleigh; ECU alumnus (1971 BS in Business Administration), founder of Connect C, LLC, and chair of ECU Board of Visitors.
- Neal Crawford of Greensboro; ECU alumnus (1985 BS in Business Administration), CEO of Carolina State Bank, member of ECU Foundation.
- Leigh Jeffreys Fanning of Greenville; ECU alumna; retired vice president of R.A. Jeffreys Distributing and member of ECU Board of Trustees.
- Brian Floyd of Greenville; president of Vidant Medical Center and chief operating officer of Vidant Health Hospitals.
- Grant Hayes of Greenville; acting provost and senior vice chancellor for academic affairs at ECU, dean and distinguished professor, College of Education.
- Colin Johnson of Greenville; ECU student body president and member of the ECU Board of Trustees.
- Chris Locklear of Greenville; ECU alumnus (1997 BS in History; 2001 MS in Education; 2007 EdD in Educational Leadership); currently serving ECU as interim chief of staff.
- Jason Poole of Fayetteville; ECU alumnus (1999 BS in Accounting and MS in Accounting); member, TRP CPAs, PLLC; and member of ECU Board of Trustees.
- Jeff Popke of Greenville; chair of the faculty and professor of geography.
- Jim Segrave of Kinston; ECU alumnus, chairman/owner of flyExclusive, and member of ECU Board of Trustees.
- Vince Smith of Vienna, Virginia; ECU alumnus (1984 BA in History), Lt. Col (Ret.) US Air Force, Air Force Personnel Security Appeal Board Member /Adjudicator, and member of ECU Board of Trustees.
- Mark Stacy of Greenville; vice chancellor for health sciences at ECU.
- Ann Wall of Greenville; Greenville city manager.
The East Carolina University Board of Trustees are holding their 2nd day of meetings and are expected to provide an update on the search for a new chancellor.
Trustees went into closed session just after 10 a.m. but tell WITN's Kathryn Dawson that they will be discussing the chancellor search committee when they open back up.
It was back in late September that former Interim Chancellor Dan Gerlach was placed on administrative leave. An investigation by UNC Board of Governors President Dr. Bill Roper into images of Gerlach captured in uptown Greenville drinking at bars frequented by students resulted in Gerlach resigning from his position.
City cameras also captured video of Gerlach getting into a vehicle and driving off after his time at the bars.
Dr. Ron Mitchelson was named new interim chancellor at ECU following Gerlach's departure.