After 5-hour standoff, barricaded man who shot Caswell County deputy removed in handcuffs

The man was taken into custody Wednesday afternoon following a 5-hour standoff.
The man was taken into custody Wednesday afternoon following a 5-hour standoff.(WRAL-TV)
Published: Aug. 10, 2022 at 11:59 AM EDT|Updated: Aug. 10, 2022 at 4:58 PM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

SEMORA, N.C. (WRAL) - A standoff between an armed, barricaded man and dozens of law enforcement officers finally ended after five hours on Wednesday afternoon. One deputy was shot multiple times.

WRAL-TV is reporting that Caswell County Sheriff’s Office deputies arrived to a home on Paradise Lane in Semora Wednesday just before 11 a.m. to serve a domestic violence order. Right as they drove up onto the man’s property — a secluded farmhouse surrounded by woods — the two deputies were shot at.

The suspect, Kevin Desilva, barricaded himself inside his home with three family members; however, his family was able to escape during the standoff.

Officers trying multiple different negotiating tactics to try and get the suspect, Kevin Desilva, to come out of the home. An armored vehicle and helicopter were also seen surrounding the home during the standoff, and deputies could be seen positioning themselves in SUVs and trucks across the property.

Around 4 p.m., Desilva was finally detained. WRAL Sky 5 showed him being removed from the structure in handcuffs. He will likely be faced with an attempted murder charge, according to the public information officer.

Deputy Aaron Tyndall, who has been with the department for three years, was transported to Duke University Hospital after being hit in the shoulder. He was alert and responsive, according to the Caswell County Sheriff’s Office.

Authorities told WRAL News that Desilva was not previously known to law enforcement, and they had not visited the home prior to Wednesday.

Video taken from Sky5 shows gunfire shatter the back of one sheriff’s deputy’s car window at around 12 p.m. Residents told WRAL News that they could hear several rounds of gunfire ring out throughout the area.

Semora is in Caswell County, which is north of Raleigh by around 70 miles. The State Bureau of Investigation and the Guilford County Sheriff’s Office was also on Paradise Lane Wednesday to help Caswell County take Desilva into custody.

A similar situation unfolded in Wayne County this month when officers were trying to serve a court-ordered involuntary commitment order. There was a 9-hour standoff where three deputies were shot and one was killed.

Do you see something needing a correction? Email us!

Copyright 2022 WITN. All rights reserved.