ECU students relocated after fire in dorm
A police officer had to be treated for smoke inhalation.
GREENVILLE, N.C. (WITN) - One police officer was taken to Vidant Medical Center to get treatment for smoke inhalation after an early morning fire at East Carolina University.
ECU says police responded to a fire alarm at Tyler Residence Hall at around 4:30 a.m. Officers found a small fire in a student’s room on the fifth floor, but the fire has been put out.
Students living in the dorm were evacuated and moved to other dorms. There are 210 students who live in Tyler Residence Hall this semester.
This was the only room damaged, but the surrounding area has some smoke and water damage.
Students who live at the dorm were told they would be out of their rooms at least until Sunday.
Greenville Fire-Rescue cleared the scene at around 6 a.m.
Copyright 2021 WITN. All rights reserved.