Advertisement

Three men narrowly escape Morehead City trailer fire

Officials say three men woke up to smoke and flames in their mobile home on Old Airport Road just before 2:30 a.m.
Published: Nov. 19, 2020 at 9:44 AM EST|Updated: Nov. 19, 2020 at 3:30 PM EST
Email this link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

MOREHEAD CITY, N.C. (WITN) - Three men narrowly escaped a mobile home fire that authorities say was caused by a portable space heater.

Morehead City firefighters say the trio got out by crawling through windows and a back door.

Firefighters say the residents did not hear any smoke alarms go off and instead woke up to smoke and flames in their mobile home on Old Airport Road just before 2:30 a.m.

Officials say one man was able to break through a window, another had to push out a window air conditioning unit and crawl his way out, while the third made it out the back door. One man was taken to the hospital, according to officials.

“It was a very close call,” said Morehead City Fire and EMS Chief Jamie Fulk. “We’re very lucky we didn’t have three fatalities.”

Investigators say the space heater was too close to combustibles. They also say the mobile home did not have working smoke detectors.

The mobile home is destroyed along with two cars. The Red Cross is helping the men with temporary housing.

Copyright 2020 WITN. All rights reserved.