Advertisement

UPDATE: 79-year-old man dies after Duplin County home explosion

Fire officials say that a gas leak led to the explosion Wednesday.
Published: Sep. 23, 2020 at 12:35 PM EDT|Updated: Sep. 24, 2020 at 11:08 AM EDT
Email this link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

DUPLIN COUNTY, N.C. (WITN) - Duplin County officials say an elderly man died after his home blew up Wednesday afternoon.

Lon Record passed away around 1:00 a.m. at the Jaycee Burn Center in Chapel Hill.

The 79-year-old man was flown to the burn center after a gas leak led to the explosion at his home on Jackson Store Road outside of Beulaville.

Five animals also died in that explosion.

Officials say a total of 17 animals were captured and 12 are currently being treated. About six of them are in critical condition. Fire officials say they are still looking for two dogs. The injured animals are at the Wilmington Emergency Animal Clinic.

Previous Story:

Five animals are dead after a home explosion in Duplin County.

Officials say a total of 17 animals were captured and 12 are currently being treated. About six of them are in critical condition. Fire officials say they are still looking for two dogs. The animals are at the Wilmington Emergency Animal Clinic.

Fire officials say that a gas leak led to the explosion Wednesday. Lon Record, 79, of Beulaville was flown to the burn center in Chapel Hill. As of 9 a.m. Thursday, he is still in critical condition.

Previous Story:

Fire officials say that a gas leak led to an explosion at a Duplin County home Wednesday. It sent one person to the burn center in Chapel Hill.

Fire crews were able to put the fire out in around ten minutes once they arrived on scene.

One person was taken to Vidant Duplin Hospital before being airlifted to the Chapel Hill Burn Center with critical injuries.

“There was a white male outside and we rendered service to him and put him on the ambulance,” said Beulaville Fire Chief Joey Carter. “He was transported to the nearest hospital and he was talking and conscious at the time, but he’s got severe injuries.”

Neighbors told WITN News that the homeowner had close to 30 animals at the home.

“There are some animals that were here,” said Duplin County Deputy Fire Marshal Emmett Stroud. “Duplin County Animal Services is taking possession of those and is making sure that they are healthy and everything’s okay with them.”

Previous Story:

Several first responders are at the scene of a house fire in Duplin County.

Emergency officials tell WITN it’s at a home on Jackson Store Road near Cornmill Road in the Beulaville area.

We’re told that one person has been injured.

Beulaville Fire, Chinquapin Fire, Lyman Fire, and Duplin County EMS have all responded.

We have a reporter heading to the scene and will update this as we learn more.

Copyright 2020 WITN. All rights reserved.

Latest News

Latest News