CMN Month of Miracles: Molly and Lucy Davis

Molly and Lucy Davis arrived 16 weeks early and weighed just 1 lb 9 oz.
Published: Jun. 23, 2020 at 8:04 AM EDT|Updated: Jun. 23, 2020 at 8:16 AM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

GREENVILLE, N.C. (WITN) - The Davis family was on a vacation in the Cayman Islands in January 2019 - the last before their family of three became a family of five.

“We were super excited! We never thought we would have twins, but God had other plans for us,” said mother Owen Davis.

Those plans would certainly test their faith in the months to come. Their vacation was cut short after Owen went into labor at just 22 weeks.

“That was a nightmare. We were very terrified. The doctors had to tell us the worst case scenario,” said Owen.

The doctors warned the family that the girls might not survive. They tried to keep Owen pregnant as long as they could. A week and a half later, Molly Ross and Lucy Winston made their grand entrance into the world, 16 weeks early.

“They both weighed one pound, 9 ounces, 730 grams. They were really about the size of a coke can,” said Owen.

The girls were taken straight to the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit at the James and Connie Maynard Children's Hospital at Vidant Medical Center. From there, the days became longer and harder.

“Molly was actually born with a rare fungal infection. The doctors still aren’t sure how that happened, so she was really sick right off the bat. Lucy was okay at first, obviously being 24 weeks, you’re never truly okay. They wanted to get her lungs more healthy, but she didn’t have an infection at that point,” Owen explained.

Two weeks later, Lucy's health took a turn.

“Her infection went into her hip joint, so she had to be airlifted to Duke for surgery,” Owen said.

Her husband, Garrett, added, “We never thought we’d see our one pound baby get flown away in a helicopter. We felt super helpless. All you could do was pray and hope for the best.”

For the Davis family, it was just the beginning. Their days and nights consumed by hospital visits, watching baby monitors, celebrating the tiny victories and hoping for the best during the setbacks.

“It was hard. I mean we have a three-year-old, too. We were juggling our three-year-old and the babies in the NICU,” Owen recalled.

The girls underwent intense procedures in just their first weeks of life, more than many ever experience in a lifetime.

After 64 x-rays, 28 eye exams, 5 lumbar punctures, 3 ambulance rides, 2 eye procedures, a hip surgery and a helicopter flight, they started to improve. The girls spent a total of 128 days in the NICU, beat incredible odds, and were finally coming home together.

“It was the best day ever. There was so much anticipation. You don’t know if you’re even going to bring them home, so when they finally came home on the same day, that made it even more special,” Owen said.

Garrett added, “As surreal as it was to go through that situation, it felt even more surreal to be bringing them home because throughout that 128 days, you almost couldn’t imagine it happening seeing the stuff they were going through.”

Molly and Lucy are now 16 months old. They’re healthy, crawling, pulling up and even starting to take steps.

“They are doing great. They’re meeting all of their milestones. They’re progressing like they should, keeping us on our toes,” said Owen.

Owen says that’s something the family didn’t know they would ever say if it wasn’t for Children’s Miracle Network.

“It provides the treatments and tools necessary to care for the children, but it also gives the parents peace of mind knowing they are going to have the best of the best when they come to the James and Connie Maynard Children’s Hospital,” said Garrett.

The Davis family says one of the biggest things CMN provided for them was the NICView cameras, which are the cameras on the babies isolettes.

“I could log on any hour of the day and kind of spy on them to make sure they were resting and doing okay. That was really nice to be able to look in on them,” Owen said.

They say it’s not just the equipment and resources, but the quality of care too. The twins turned one this past January and the nurses that took care of them in the hospital showed up to help them celebrate.

“We’re very lucky to be in the situation they’re in and be doing as well as they are now. there’s no way else to put it. We’re truly blessed and lucky to be able to witness it,” said Garrett.

Copyright 2020 WITN. All rights reserved.