Farmville officials in Pitt County say they are staffing the Town's Emergency Operations Center at Town Hall to take phone calls from citizens at 753-5116.
75 to 85% of Farmvilles electrical system is out of service. Officials say they will not be restoring power until the winds are below 35 mph.
The first step will be surveying the extent of the damage and devising a restoration plan. Officials say they have atleast a dozen power poles knocked down and many power lines pulled down by fallen trees.
They anticipate assistance arriving tomorrow morning from ElectriCities members in the western part of the State.
These include three crews from Concord, NC and a private contractor's crews. Restoration is likely to extend well into Monday and Tuesday.
The City of Greenville has suspended all Public Works restoration activities and Fire/Rescue emergency response due to unsafe weather conditions. We are continuing to take and log dispatch calls and will resume service when conditions improve.
The City continues to staff its Emergency Operations Center and monitor the situation with Irene. City crews have responded to several calls for downed trees. Since the city has already received several inches of rain and with more on the way, you can expect more trees to fall in the wind throughout the day today.
Officials are asking everyone NOT to travel today unless it's absolutely necessary. This allows for emergency responders (ambulances, fire trucks, and police) to be able to quickly respond to any and all emergencies as long as it is still safe to do so.
Greenville Utilities says roughly 300 customers are without power in the Northside of the County due to line damages from winds.
About 7:15 a.m., over 500 customers on Elm and 10th St. lost power.
The Stokestown substation is out. The substation serves the southern portion of Pitt County including Stokestown and surrounding area.
At 7:15 a.m., GUC suspended all aerial restoration activities (bucket truck/anything in close proximity to trees to high wind conditions).
Since 11 p.m., a total of approximately 5,000 customers have experienced outages (current number of customer affected - approximately 2,500).
80% of the outages have been tree related. The other 20% have been caused by wind (causing lines to slap together, etc).
Pitt County has an emergency hotline for citizens to call with questions concerning the storm. That number is 902.3999. Citizens can get information about shelters, preparedness, and any important storm-related information as it pertains to Pitt County.
This declaration gives the police the ability to restrict or deny access to areas when necessary in order to help overcome the emergency or to protect the emergency from worsening. An example of this would be restricting access to a flooded area. This declaration does not restrict alcohol sales, nor does it put any curfew into effect.
The City is activating its Emergency Operations Center at 8 p.m. Friday. Additional crews will be called in, put on standby, and will be prepared to respond to emergencies as necessary.
It is urgently requested that all citizens finish their storm preparations this evening and NOT to travel tomorrow unless absolutely necessary. This allows for emergency responders (ambulances, fire trucks, and police) to be able to quickly respond to any and all emergencies as long as it is still safe to do so.
For their own safety, should conditions become such that they are unsafe for City personnel, Police, Fire/Rescue, and Public Works crews will not respond to calls for help until it is safe for them to do so again.
The following facilities have announced closures:
· Eppes Recreation Center will close today at 12 noon and will remain closed through Sunday.
· All other Recreation and Parks facilities (including Bradford Creek Municipal Golf Course, River Park North, and the Greenville Aquatics and Fitness Center) will close today at 5 p.m. and will remain closed through Sunday.
· All Greenways will be closed beginning at 6 p.m. today until further notice.
· Sheppard Memorial Library (all branches) will close today at 5 p.m. and will reopen Sunday at 2 p.m.
· GREAT Bus System will be closed Saturday, no buses will run
"If you don't need to be travel, please stay home," said Noel Lee, Pitt County Emergency Management Director. "Once the storm passes and it's safe to drive, be careful, watching for debris and downed power lines. Don't drive through standing water. This is a large storm, and everyone should put protective action plans in place."
Greenville city officials met with county and state teams Thursday to discuss their emergency plans.
Equipment and crews are in place to deal with downed trees and power lines and flooded streets.
Click one of the pictures below to see more pictures or to upload your own photos and videos.