IRENE DEATHS: Second Pitt County Death Confirmed

Authorities say a man has been found dead in his Pitt County home after winds from Hurricane Irene toppled a tree onto the house.

Pitt County spokeswoman Kiara Jones said Ayden police found the victim as they checked on residents after the storm passed. She did not release his name or age.

His is the fifth death authorities directly attribute to Irene. A Sampson County mother and a man in Nash County also were killed by falling trees and limbs. A teen in Goldsboro and a man in Pitt County were killed in traffic wrecks.

Also, rescuers in New Hanover County are still looking for a man who fell or jumped Friday night into the Cape Fear River.


Previous Story

A child died in Goldsboro after the car he and his family members were riding in collided with another vehicle, both of which had went through a stoplight that had been knocked out by the storm, Capt. Anthony Carmon of the Goldsboro Police Department said.

One adult in a car that was carrying a total of three family members died after a tree hit their vehicle as it was traveling down a highway near Clinton, said North Carolina emergency management spokesman Ernie Seneca.

Authorities confirm that one person is dead in an auto accident in Pitt County at Irene struck.

Dispatchers say the accident happened around 7:40 a.m. on County Home Road.

Troopers say 21-year-old Jose Corona was south on County Home and ran off the road, crossed the centerline and ran into a tree.

The Highway Patrol say they are investigating whether alcohol was involved, since alcohol was present on the scene.

In Nash County a man went to feed his animals Saturday morning and was killed when a branch fell on him. WITN spoke to the Nash County Emergency Management and was told more information will be released later in the day Saturday. The man's name is not released.

On Thursday, Onslow County authorities say a man died, apparently from a heart attack, as he was putting up plywood in advance of the storm.


INJURIES:

According to the Associated Press: A New Bern man suffered a head injury after strong winds blew down a large billboard that struck a mobile home where he was working.

Forty-four-year-old Gary Henderson said he was helping a friend move furniture Saturday afternoon when the billboard toppled into three trailers, sending pieces of metal debris flying through the air.

Henderson was treated at the scene by emergency responders and then was taken by his family to a hospital in Havelock for further evaluation.

His friend, Andrew Owens, was not injured.

Henderson said he was surprised to be alive after the incident. The billboard, advertising a local marina, reads: "Anything is possible."


You must be logged in to post comments.

Username:
Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
  • by Terrell Location: Bertie County on Aug 29, 2011 at 09:16 AM
    Do anyone know when the lights may be coming back on in Windsor, NC? I know some lights are on throughout the Williamston, NC area. Are they working their way to Windsor? We do not have any lights hers, so we cannot watch or listen to the news.
  • by Queenie Location: Boca Raton, FL on Aug 28, 2011 at 10:52 AM
    Does anybody know what the situation is in Grifton, NC? Is the power still out? Is there a lot of damage? Is it flooded? My sister is in an assisted living facility there--worried--can't get thru on the phone. Were assisted living facilities evacuated to shelters? Please advise. Thanks!
  • by Random on Aug 28, 2011 at 05:52 AM
    U would have to say they were not seat belted in. I drove up on this wreck right after it happened, before medical services arrived. They couldnt find on of the kids because they had been ejected. The way the people were scattered tells me no seatbelts. The location of the cars also tells me people dont think. Its pretty obvious you yield to the highway, dont try crossing it thinking it has magically become a four way stop.
    • reply
      by Anonymous on Aug 29, 2011 at 08:07 AM in reply to Random
      If there are no traffic lights on for anyone it DOES magically become a four-way stop. No excuse for no seatbelts though.
  • by Anonymous on Aug 27, 2011 at 09:09 PM
    My thoughts and prayers go out to the family members of loved ones lost. My husband was killed in a car accident last month; it's a nightmare and it hurts. Turn to each other and to God for comfort.
  • by Emma on Aug 27, 2011 at 07:46 PM
    The guy driving with 5 kids in the car, who were apparently not belted in because they were ejected from the car, should be put in jail if he is okay. He NEVER should have been taking the kids out for a ride in that weather. He wouldn't be taking them to work; they weren't in school; and there's no way he had 5 sick kids going to the ER; so there's no excuse. Horrifyingly stupid people out there...
    • reply
      by Anonymous on Aug 28, 2011 at 03:17 AM in reply to Emma
      Assumptions abound... no way he had 5 sick kids, ok. What if one is sick. Do you leave the other 4 alone? Duh? All it takes is one sick child and everyone may have to get in the car and go somewhere. Not saying that's what this was, but think it through before you come up with a criticism like that.
    • reply
      by SoManyMike on Aug 28, 2011 at 05:39 AM in reply to Emma
      Maybe I am missing something but I do not see where it says they were ejected from the vehicle, or that there were 5 kids in a car? It also doesn't say they were just out for a ride. For all we know their home could have been flooded or damaged to the point where it was unsafe and he was trying to move them to safety. Horrifyingly presumptuous, judgmental, negative people out there...
  • by Patrick Location: Richardson, TX on Aug 27, 2011 at 07:17 PM
    My Mother and Father live there and decided to say and sit through it. It was only a level 2, they have been through a level 4 and 5 before without any problems, so they did not think anything of it. However the damage I am seeing is unreal. Its hard to beleave it was only a level 2 hurricane. The one good thing I know is that they live on much higer ground than the town.... well a little higher and hopefully that well be high enough.
  • by Jackie Location: Greenville NC on Aug 27, 2011 at 06:59 PM
    It is amazing to me that safety is placed 2nd with some employers. This is a hurricane! What is your life worth? Having a job that is willing to cause you harm paying you minimum wage to serve customers? Really? What is the right thing to do! It sickens me that some have been forced to work at retail stores and restaurants.today. And the ones who demanded employees to work stayed in the comfort of their home. My prayers go out to these heartless souls who have placed their needs above others. It is time we take a stance and unite in saving "NO" my life is worth more and so is yours...
  • by Chris Location: Wallace on Aug 27, 2011 at 05:24 PM
    Charles - our son lives there also. Power is out as it is in most of Greenvlle. Only damage he mentioned was 7 of the 9 units across from him had lost all or part of the patio fencing.
  • by charles Location: greenville on Aug 27, 2011 at 12:31 PM
    i am out of town. can any one advise me as to the storm damage at this time. i live on manning forest drive. near williams rd and greenville blvd. thank you for any info.
  • by Rich Location: Winterville on Aug 27, 2011 at 10:34 AM
    I heard that some people had to report to work at even places like McDonad's and Chic-Fil-A despite the storm. If that's true, then that company is just sorry for doing that to employees.
  • Page:
WITN

275 E. Arlington Blvd. Greenville, NC 27858 252-439-7777
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 128521158 - witn.com/a?a=128521158
Gray Television, Inc.