Washington County Union School Loses Beloved Coach To Cancer

Washington County is mourning the loss of a coach that has worked with young athletes for over 3 decades. 57-year-old Louis Spencer recently lost his battle with cancer. Over the course of 33 years, Spencer taught PE classes and coached football and basketball at Washington County Union school.

Spencer's son, Louis Spencer Jr.,says his dad was his role model.
"To me he was someone that I always looked to for guidance and advice, someone I always wanted to be like. I never in my life wanted to be like someone else- not a celebrity. I always wanted to be like him."

Spencer's funeral is planned for Saturday, October 16th in the Washington County Union School gymnasium.

• by KA Location: Roper on Nov 4, 2010 at 11:59 AM
    Mr. Spencer was a great teacher and coach. He actually cared about his students. He will never be forgotten! Hang in there Spencer family.
  • by rebecca a former student Location: East Lake on Oct 17, 2010 at 05:05 PM
    I have just found out about mr spencer and i am sorry to hear that he had past away. and that wcu and all of us well miss a great teacher.. So my prayers out to his family . he was the best teacher of all
  • by Lane Location: Hyde on Oct 14, 2010 at 10:11 PM
    I went to school with Louis, He was so quite, but seemed to very well self displined Im sure he was a great coach He loved sports RIP
  • by annie Location: engelhard on Oct 14, 2010 at 07:31 PM
    Louis was one of my classmates he was also my friend doing my school year someone i could always look up to when homework was so hard sleep on brother take your rest we love but god love you best
  • by margie Location: plymouth on Oct 13, 2010 at 07:47 PM
    When i heard about Mr. Spencer it brought back a lot of thought of when i was in school....but he will be miss....WE LOVE YOU SPENCER......
  • by Linda Location: Plymouth on Oct 13, 2010 at 09:12 AM
    Well, God has called another legacy home. When I heard of Mr. Spencer passing, my heart was heavy. Mr. Spencer was a great man and will truely be missed. My prayers go out to his family.....Weeping may endure for a night but joy will surely come in the morning.
  • by Dianner Location: Elizabeth City, NC on Oct 13, 2010 at 08:38 AM
    I was saddened to hear of Mr. Spencer' death. He was my Social Studies teacher in 7th Grade. He was a wonderful teacher and coach. Praying that God will comfort the family and community in their loss.
  • by Carolyn Location: Plymouth,NC on Oct 13, 2010 at 05:49 AM
    I was toring when I heard Mr.Spencer had pass.He was a beautiful person but tough...I had the pleasure of meeting him in 1982...when I attend WCU coming from Wilson,nC...I never had a male teacher...He was/is great...A legacy gone to glory...You will be truly miss...Love always!RIP!!!
  • by RJ Location: Spruill on Oct 12, 2010 at 08:35 PM
    I can't believe that Mr. Spencer is gone. His legacy at WCU has touched so many athletes and students. He taught me so much when I was at WCU, and not only about football and basketball, but about life. He was a good man and he has done a lot for the atheletic community and personal development of students in Washington County. I will miss Mr. Spencer and may God bless his family in their time of need.
  • by barnes family Location: plymouth on Oct 12, 2010 at 05:10 PM
    Mr. Spencer was a very special teacher, coach, and person. He always spoke when he saw you in a store and was always the same. My family will never forget Mr. Spencer, he was my youngest sons' coach in football and he gave him the confidence to do better in all he wanted to accomplish. In fact, to this day my son son still goes by the nickname Mr. Spencer gave him while playing on the the football team-Big Red. May God bless his family and hold them close.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 104741414 - witn.com/a?a=104741414