GREENVILLE, N.C. – For the third time this season, East Carolina junior Shane Carden has been named Conference USA Offensive Player-of-the-Week following his record-setting performance in the Pirates 58-24 win over Tulsa.
Carden, who accounted for a school-record seven touchdowns, matched a program standard (and tied his career high) with five TD passes and rushed for two more scores. He tossed scoring strikes of 28, 18, 5, 25 and 5 yards to four different receivers to push his season and career totals to 24 and 47, respectively, and reached the end zone on a pair of one-yard runs. In all, he completed 34-of-50 passes for 384 yards against the Golden Hurricane - his 10th career effort of 300 yards or more (sixth this season).
The Houston, Texas native converted all six red zone opportunities (5 TDs, 1 FG) and has now cashed in 90-of-99 visits inside the 20-yard line as ECU's starter. Fifteen of his 34 completions went for 10 or more yards as he directed a Pirate offense that turned in their fourth 500-plus-yard outing of the season (505).
In addition to his league honor, Carden has also garnered the following weekly honors:
· Capital One Cup Impact Performance Nominee (second time this season)
· College Football Performance Awards (CFPA) National Performer-of-the-Week (second time this season)
· College Sports Madness C-USA Player-of-the-Week (fourth time this season)
· Honorable Mention Earl Campbell Tyler Rose Player-of-the-Week (two-time POW selection)
· Manning Award Stars-of-the-Week (second time this season)
· NFL.com Top Collegiate Quarterback for Week 11
The Pirates (7-2, 5-1) will play host to C-USA East Division foe UAB (2-7, 1-4) in the regular season home finale this Saturday, Nov. 16. Kickoff is slated for 2 p.m. (EST) and will be televised on WITN.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.