GREENVILLE, N.C. - Corey Kemp had a career game with four hits, five RBI and four runs scored including his 14th home run of the season as No. 30 East Carolina extended its current winning streak to eight games, 12 in a row at home, after taking game one of a Conference USA doubleheader Saturday afternoon against UAB 17-1 in seven innings at Lewis Field inside Clark-LeClair Stadium. With the win ECU improves to 35-13, 10-7 in C-USA while UAB drops to 19-26 and 4-13 in league play.
Along with Kemp, Harrison Eldridge (2) , Jamie Ray and Ryan Wood each hit home runs, while five Pirates collected at least two hits. For Ray and Wood it was their third four-bagger of the week, while Kemp and Eldridge hit their second bombs of the week.
Justin Bristow improved to 7-2 on the season after going 6.1 innings allowing one run on two hits with three strikeouts and five walks. Seth Simmons made his 21st appearance out of the bull pen allowing one hit before giving way to Josh Ruhlman, who closed out the inning.
Mitch Kloskowski dropped to 5-5 on the year after allowing nine runs on 10 hits in two innings of work. Robert Brewster worked two-thirds of an inning giving up five runs on two hits before he was lifted for Blake Huddleston in the third with two outs. Huddleston pitched the final 3.1 innings surrendering three runs on six hits with two walks.
Kemp gave ECU a 2-0 lead in the first on his two-run shot to right field. Wood drew a one-out walk then touched home on Kemp’s blast.
ECU plated seven runs in the second putting the game out of reach at 9-0 thanks to home runs by Wood and Ray. Dustin Harrington singled up the middle to lead off the inning then took third on Harrison Eldridge’s double to right-center before Wood cleared the bases with a three-run shot to right field. Stephen Batts followed with a single then scored on a double by Kemp down the left field line. Henderson picked up his second hit of the game with a RBI single up the middle and Ray smacked his third home run of the week and fourth of the season with a two run shot to left.
The Pirates scored five in the third and one in the sixth pushing its lead to 15-0 thanks to two home runs by Eldridge and a two-run double by Kemp.
UAB finally scored in the seventh when Austin Tayor reached on a Pirate fielding error that scored Brent Hardy.
· Attendance: 3,371 (24th largest at Clark-LeClair Stadium).
· Corey Kemp hit his 14th homer of the season driving and drove in five runs on the afternoon (60 RBI) which leads C-USA.
· Jamie Ray extended his current hit streak to eight games with a single up the middle in the first. He blasted his fourth homer of the season and third in the last three games with a two-run shot in the second inning. In his last eight games he is 15-for-30 with three home runs, 20 RBI and six runs scored.
· Harrison Eldridge extended his current hit streak to a season-long eight games with his 53rd career double in the second inning to right center. He recorded his first multi-home run game of his career while driving in three runs. With his three runs scored, Eldridge moved into third place on the schools all-time runs list with 178.
· Ryan Wood was 1-for-3 on the day with a home run (11) three RBI and now has 45 RBI which is a career-high.
· ECU finished the game with 18 hits marking the 33rd time this season they have reached double-digits.
· The Pirates 17 runs marks the 18th time they have reached double digits.
· With its seven runs in the second and five in third, the Pirates have scored at least five runs in one inning 18 times this year with a team-high 10 coming against Elon on March 18, in the seventh inning.