Freshman Sthil Sowers threw his first collegiate complete game Tuesday night in a 6-1 win over in-state foe No. 27 UNC-Wilmington at Lewis Field inside Clark-LeClair Stadium.
Sowers held the Seahawks (29-9-1) scoreless through 8 2/3 innings until serving up a solo shot to Mark Carver. The right-hander scattered six hits on the night and fanned five batters while walking none. With the win, Sowers improves to 4-3 on the season for the Pirates (28-13).
Kyle Lewis (3-1) dropped his first game of the season after surrendering five runs (all earned) on eight hits in 4 2/3 innings of work. Bryan Booth made his eighth appearance of the season coming out of the pen lasting 1 1/3 innings with one hit. Jesse Haney (0.1 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 1 BB, 1 K), Cameron Roth (0.2 IP, 1 H, 2 K) and Larry Salefsky (1.0 IP, 1 BB, 1 K) closed out the game for UNCW.
The Pirates wasted little time in getting on the board taking an early 1-0 in the bottom of the first. Ryan Wood singled to right-center with one out and took third on Stephen Batts’ double down the left field line. Corey Kemp drove in his 45th run of the year when he grounded out to short plating Wood.
In the bottom of the fifth ECU extended its lead to five, 5-0, after pushing across four runs all with two outs. Wood singled to center then moved to second when Batts walked and came home on Kemp’s second RBI of the game, a single to center. With runners on first and third, Brandon Henderson plated Batts from third with an infield single and Jamie Ray pushed Kemp across with the Pirates third consecutive hit of the frame. ECU’s final run came on a Lewis balk that scored Henderson.
Kemp scored on a throwing error by second baseman Daniel Hargrave in the seventh inning to push the Pirates lead to 6-0 and cap the scoring in the game.
Offensively seven different Pirates had a hit highlighted by multi-hit games from Harrison Eldridge, Henderson, Ray and Wood.
The Pirates will hit the road Wednesday night when they travel to Campbell for a 7 p.m. first pitch before opening a three-game series at home against Presbyterian on Friday, April 25. The first 500 fans on Friday night will receive a free “Walk the Plank” cooler.
· Sthil Sowers complete game was the second of the season for ECU. Justin Bristow tossed a complete game shutout against Monmouth on March 2, 2008 in a 6-0 victory.
· Stephen Batts extended his current hitting streak to 10 games with his double down the left field line in the first inning. He finished the game going 1-for-4 with a run scored.
· Ryan Wood recorded his 52nd career multi-hit game with his single in the fifth inning and finished the game with two runs scored.
· Brandon Henderson picked up his 36th career multi-hit game in the fifth inning with an infield single. He also drove in a run and scored.
· Corey Kemp drove in two runs and now has 46 RBI on the season to lead the Pirates. It was his 21st career multi-RBI game. He finished the game going 1-for-4 with two runs scored and a walk.
· Jamie Ray notched his 33 career multi-hit game with an infield single in the seventh.
· Harrison Eldridge went 2-for-5 on the night with his 73rd career multi-hit game. His double in the sixth was the 51st of his career.
· ECU pounded out 11 hits on the night marking the 27th time this year they have reached double-digits in the hit column. When collecting 10-or more hits, the Pirates are 23-4.