OT: ECU Loses 81-78 To Southern Miss In CUSA Tourney

MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) -- Neil Watson scored 17 points and Darnell Dodson's 3-pointer put Southern Mississippi ahead to stay in an 81-78 victory over East Carolina in the Conference USA tournament quarterfinals Thursday.

Watson and Dodson scored 12 of the 13 points in overtime for the second-seeded Golden Eagles (25-7). Dodson's trey made it 78-76 with 59 seconds left. He added a free throw and Watson made two on Southern Mississippi's next two possessions to make it 81-76.

Robert Sampson's layup brought the 10th-seeded Pirates (15-16) within three points. Watson's two missed free throws with 6 seconds left gave them a chance to tie, but Paris Roberts-Campbell missed from long range.

Sampson's 3-pointer with 17 seconds left in regulation forced the overtime. He finished with 15 points. Miguel Paul led the Pirates with 28 points and 12 assists, and Maurice Kemp scored 18.

Jonathan Mills scored 16 points and Dodson 13 for Southern Miss.

Previous Story:
ECU finished with a 15-16 record after a spirited overtime loss to the Southern Miss Golden Eagles.

Miguel Paul led the Pirates with 28 points and 12 assists. Maurice Kemp added 18 for ECU and Robert Sampson scored 15 points. The Pirates shot 15-31 from three point range.

• by Pack Man Location: Knightdale on Mar 9, 2012 at 10:40 PM
    It will be okay ECU fans. You can lean toward pulling for a real team and a classy team like the N.C. State Wolfpack over those pathetic and unclassy Tarholes. We will beat the unclassy Tarholes then we will beat Puke and their spoiled yankee brats as well.
  • by Anti NC on Mar 9, 2012 at 08:30 AM
    As a hater of all NC teams, I have to say that I hate EasyU the worst!
  • by jollymon Location: jollytrolley on Mar 9, 2012 at 03:09 AM
    it's because the jolly trolley had to scrape their sticker off
  • by tarheel on Mar 9, 2012 at 12:49 AM
    shut up your ezu pirates are 5 and 11 in coference they suck almost as bad as your football team
      by Eric on Mar 9, 2012 at 02:42 AM in reply to tarheel
      I will say to you what I say to most Heel fans. I will take my burger medium, no pickels and when you get a chance can you wipe down my table.
      by trash on Mar 9, 2012 at 06:40 AM in reply to tarheel
      I'm pretty sure you have no affiliation with unc at all. You're just a "fan". Keep talking trash and giving unc a bad name, I don't really care. I agree with Eric, get back to your drive-thru duties, the line is getting pretty long.
      by UNC fan on Mar 9, 2012 at 07:06 AM in reply to tarheel
      tarheel, go away...most Tarheel fans despise people like you and your stupid comments
      by Anonymous on Mar 9, 2012 at 08:41 AM in reply to tarheel
      Tar Heels is two words, not one. What kind of a fan does not know this? Answer = one that is a Wal Heel (or, as you would write, a walheel). LOL!!!
      by Alex on Mar 9, 2012 at 10:11 AM in reply to tarheel
      Our football team won't be nearly as bad as yours when the NCAA drops the hammer on you guys and issues sanctions. I usually don't have a problem with Heels fans, only when they troll our articles and spew idiotic posts like yours. Don't forget your Wal-Mart UNC shirt, I hear they are half off this week.
  • by Sam Location: Kitty Hawk on Mar 8, 2012 at 10:39 PM
    Those refs were the absolute worst refs I saw since about 25-30 years ago, when I started watching my first basketball game ever. They should be fired from their jobs. They were as 1-sided and biased as any referee I ever saw in my life. They have disgraced not only college basketball, but all of basketball in general. ECU had that win stolen from them and Southern Miss had that win handed to them on a silver platter. That game going into overtime was proof. ECU would have had that game won in regulation by 6-12 points in regulation had the refs called the game like a ref is supposed to do. They should never officiate a basketball game ever again.
  • by Start a pot smoking league on Mar 8, 2012 at 05:49 PM
    and ECU would be number 1 every year
  • by samIam on Mar 8, 2012 at 05:48 PM
    Way to end the season as strong as we could, Lebo said year 2 is always the toughest....lets see what he can get done next season. Go Pirates!
  • by DS1 on Mar 8, 2012 at 04:08 PM
    NAH NAH NAH NAH! NAH NAH NAH NAH!! HEY HEY HEY! GOODBYE!!
      by Anonymous on Mar 8, 2012 at 06:20 PM in reply to DS1
      ... oh, how "insightful"...
  • by Who cares on Mar 8, 2012 at 03:29 PM
    the real schools are playing in Atlanta this week..... Does anyone real care if ECU plays at all......
      by Mustang on Mar 8, 2012 at 04:43 PM in reply to Who cares
      Oh really. So why are you not down there pulling for the school that you probably did not attend? I hear they are practically giving away tickets due to lack of interest.
      by Sam on Mar 8, 2012 at 10:41 PM in reply to Who cares
      Yeah the real cheating schools are playing in Atlanta. The ACC stands for America's Cheating Conference and you need to move to Raleigh or further west. Stay as far away from Greenville as possible.
  • by Anonymous on Mar 8, 2012 at 02:14 PM
    Not a bad start for Lebo, thanks coach..we know we will get there!! Thanks!!!

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 141946153 - witn.com/a?a=141946153