ECU Falls To N.C. State 85-65

CHARLESTON, S.C. (AP) -- Lorenzo Brown had 16 points and Scott Wood 13 as North Carolina State used a 42-10 run to blow out state rival East Carolina, 85-65, at the Charleston Classic on Thursday night.

The Wolfpack (2-0) improved to 19-1 against the Pirates (2-1), who lost for the first time under new coach Jeff Lebo.

Brown, a freshman, and Wood, a sophomore, provided the scoring punch for North Carolina State as senior starters Tracy Smith and Javier Gonzalez mostly watched from the bench.

Not that it mattered much. The Wolfpack's young players took control with less than six minutes to play in the first half and trailing 23-22. They followed with a burst that lasted nearly 15 minutes and spanned halftime.

Brown scored 11 points in the charge that put North Carolina State ahead 64-33 with 12 minutes left.

Corvonn Gaines had 11 points to lead East Carolina.

• by pirate/hawk Location: G/vegas on Nov 19, 2010 at 04:20 PM
    I think that the nation showed little spurts of greatness last night. Yes I know that we did not win, but we put up a good fight. Give coach Lebo time to work his magic, it is not gonna happen all at once. Go Piarets...
  • by Dave Location: In the zone on Nov 19, 2010 at 12:13 PM
    ECU's uniforms look like they were made at a Bible school.
  • by hmm on Nov 19, 2010 at 08:47 AM
    As a State fan, I have to say that the guys in purple didnt look all that bad in the first half. I had to miss the second half, so I have no clue what happened. That Young kid can play.
  • by Sam Location: Kitty Hawk on Nov 19, 2010 at 06:28 AM
    Way too many turnovers off of bad passes and not enough defense combined with a little bit of laziness costed the pirates this one. It's time to get over it and focus on UNC-Charlotte tonight, and time for the football team to pay all their attention on Rice.
  • by Richard on Nov 19, 2010 at 06:22 AM
    UNC is at a "psychological disadvantage" whenever they play NCSU in basketball...ECU fans should get used to it. It is part of a rivalry. One team will usually be better than the other, thats what makes being the underdog so much fun. Yes it would be fun to be at UNC and know there is a legitimate chance to win the National Championship every year, but look at NCSU in 1983 and how great it was to fight for the National Championship against a stacked Houston team. Its means more when it happens that way. In the end it is better to be at the bottom and looking up in sports (Red Sox v Yankees for example) b/c you have less to lose, so ECU fans embrace it!
  • by Diamond Location: Greenville on Nov 19, 2010 at 06:14 AM
    Last night I dreamed I was awake then I woke up and I was asleep.
  • by Justin Location: ENC on Nov 19, 2010 at 06:07 AM
    I just want to be the first to say.... It's all Obama fault.
  • by Jimbo Location: Pirate Nation on Nov 19, 2010 at 05:51 AM
    I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOO glad the pack won so we don't have to hear all the whining from their "fans" for the next two weeks. I suppose state will be MORE than happy to continue this VERY IMPORTANT basketball rivalry!! Lol, lol, lol. Happy Friday. GO PIRATES BEAT RICE....ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH!!
  • by Ric Location: Greenville on Nov 19, 2010 at 05:18 AM
    The game means more to State than it does to ECU. So we're always going to be at a disadvantage when we play the game, just psychologically. Where did I hear that before?
  • by Bud Location: Goldsboro on Nov 19, 2010 at 05:16 AM
    Perhaps the "psychological disadvantage" only applies when you lose in football. Perhaps Sidney Lowe should talk to Tom O'Brian about game preparation when you have a "psychological disadvantage".

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 109077834 - witn.com/a?a=109077834