UNC's Withers Won't Attend NCAA Hearing

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. (AP) -- North Carolina interim coach Everett Withers says he won't attend the school's hearing with the NCAA infractions committee later this week.

Withers was initially expected to attend Friday's hearing in Indianapolis after the school fired Butch Davis as head coach just before training camp. But school spokesman Kevin Best said the decision for Withers not to attend came during recent discussions between the school and NCAA leading up to the hearing.

The NCAA has outlined nine violations from its investigation into improper benefits and academic misconduct within the football program. The school issued self-imposed penalties last month, including vacating all 16 wins from 2008 and 2009, the reduction of nine scholarships over a three-year period and a $50,000 fine.

The hearing will determine whether the school faces additional sanctions.

• by to Fred on Oct 26, 2011 at 11:39 AM
    sorry about that Fred, I assumed you meant something else. take care
  • by Bobby Location: Winterville on Oct 25, 2011 at 12:26 PM
    Christmas comes early for me this year. I hope it's a stiff penalty as well. Biggest scandal of any NC school, money, cars, tutors, professors, and no one know it was going on, please. Sure there was Ram's club money handed out along the way. Big black eye to the state of NC and our other fine universitys.
      by Anonymous on Oct 26, 2011 at 07:34 AM in reply to Bobby
      about half of your comment is total bs as usual...
        by Bobby on Oct 26, 2011 at 07:38 PM in reply to
        Which half is not true? State your case!
          by Anonymous on Oct 27, 2011 at 11:14 AM in reply to Bobby
          Lets see, it is not the biggest scandal of any NC school (there have been others), no mention of Rams club money being handed out, it is not a big black eye to the state of NC nor to the other schools, just a black eye to the University of North Carolina. I was wrong, MORE than half of your comment is total BS. Maybe you should become a fiction novelist because you are good at making things up and to "hehe" I am not an expert but I can read, thank you
          by Dave on Oct 27, 2011 at 01:56 PM in reply to Bobby
          #1 It is the biggest scandal of any university in the State of North Carolina. NO other school has had that many major infractions combined. So you are wrong on that point, try again. #2 Rams club money pays for scholarships and tutoring, so there you are wrong again. #3 any time a instution which is the franchise instution commits infractions and major ones at that, then it's a black eye to flag ship university and all the sisters universitys. When ever a professor is passing out grades for money, then it's a black eye that our state will put anyone as a professor. So , since you say you can read, I hope you can understand what you are reading. I am not making this material up, it's facts. Any other questions?
        by hehe on Oct 27, 2011 at 08:45 AM in reply to
        Yeah Anonymous, lets hear it. You seem to be the expert on this whole thing.
  • by Fred Location: NC on Oct 25, 2011 at 04:58 AM
    No point in Withers attending. He won't be around unc much longer.
      by Anonymous on Oct 25, 2011 at 03:40 PM in reply to Fred
      He will not have a problem finding a job and I have no doubt he will emerge again as a head coach some day. He has a bright future.
        by Fred on Oct 25, 2011 at 07:10 PM in reply to
        Agree! I just don't think he's "pretty" enough for unc....what a shame.
          by Anonymous on Oct 26, 2011 at 07:38 AM in reply to Fred
          What are you talking about? If he does not become the new coach it will be because the new AD wants to hire his own coach or because UNC has a bad season. It has nothing to do with looks. Actually he "looks" like a head football coach
          by Fred on Oct 26, 2011 at 10:22 AM in reply to Fred
          Lol!!!! By putting "pretty" in quotations I mean carolina is going to be looking for a "name" or the latest "hot" (no, not their temperature) coach as they did when they hired Butch. I wasn't talking about what coach Withers actually looks like. I figured a carolina person would get that.
  • by Dave Location: Greenville on Oct 24, 2011 at 06:52 PM
    Lets hope for the death penalty!
      by Anonymous on Oct 25, 2011 at 08:44 AM in reply to Dave
      You would like that wouldnt you? Then you wouldnt have to play us but it aint happening. UNC football will be around way longer than you so deal with it and thanks for the comment, it is another example of your daily jealousy towards UNC, LOL
        by Dave on Oct 25, 2011 at 10:02 AM in reply to
        Wouldn't have to play us? Anonymous, when did you start playing football? Back to the basement, your mom is worried, 33 yr old still living at home. You are special.
          by Anonymous on Oct 25, 2011 at 02:44 PM in reply to Dave
          I think you know what he meant? You sure do make some wild assumptions about people you dont even know, there are names for people like you that talk about things they know nothing about. I agree with the other comment here, you couldnt get into UNC right?
          by Anonymous on Oct 25, 2011 at 03:36 PM in reply to Dave
          Actually I am a 48 year old who owns 2 houses and my Mother is deceased. I am sure you have heard the terms "us" and "we" used before and understand exactly how they are used. UNC football is older than all of us and will be here long after we are all gone like it or not. Yes, I am special. Go Heels!
      by Anonymous on Oct 25, 2011 at 09:25 AM in reply to Dave
      My guess is Dave dreamed his whole life about attending UNC but then couldnt get in so he now has this huge chip on his shoulder. Why else would he comment on every single article about UNC?

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 132500323 - witn.com/a?a=132500323