Tar Heels' Larry Drew II Leaves Program

Chapel Hill – Junior point guard Larry Drew II is leaving the University of North Carolina, head coach Roy Williams announced today.

“This morning I spoke to Larry Drew Sr. and he informed me that it was in Larry II’s best interest to leave North Carolina at this time,” says Williams. “Personally I hate this for Larry and our team because he was such an important part of our team and he has continued to improve and played well in recent games. He was our defensive award winner in two of our last four games and has handled the ball really well in our four-game win streak. “But I understand that families and players have to make their own decisions as to what is best for them at a particular time in their lives. He contributed agreat deal to our program in his two and a half years here, including being a part of a national championship team. I regret that Larry and his family feel this is the right thing to do, but again, each individual has to do what they think is best. He will be successful wherever he chooses to go. I appreciate what he gave to our University and basketball program in his time here.”

Drew was a freshman on the 2009 national championship squad, then started 53 games over the next year and ahalf. He scored 461 points with 378 assists, 17th most in UNC history. Thisyear he was fifth in the Atlantic Coast Conference in assists and assist-error ratio and won UNC’s defensive player of the game award four times. He had 19 assists and four turnovers in the last four games, including a season-high nine at Boston College on February 1st.

“After careful consideration and consultation with my family, I have decided it’s in my best interest to continue my education and basketball career elsewhere,” says Drew II. “I have enjoyed my time in North Carolina and appreciate the support of everyone associated with the program. Over the last three years we’ve accomplished a lot as a team and those experiences will help me not only on the court, but off the court as well.

“I’d like to thank the coaching staff for giving me the opportunity to play at one of the nation’s top colleges in UNC, and my teammates for their support as well. It is unfortunate my career didn’t meet expectations in Chapel Hill, however I do look forward to continuing my collegiate and athletic career in the near future.”

• by Pack Man Location: Knightdale on Feb 9, 2011 at 01:43 PM
    Anonymous, Farmville Ken is not an ECU fan. He is a State fan. Talk about how delusional UNC fans are for assuming that he's an ECU fan. Nobody else likes UNC except for those Wal-Heel fans and the REAL fans who actually went there.
  • by Anonymous on Feb 9, 2011 at 11:08 AM
    You Pirates enjoy calling the kettle black don't you.
  • by The Carolina Way on Feb 7, 2011 at 09:37 PM
    Good point. With Butch Davis at the helm, the UNC rap sheet has probably tripled in length.
  • by To: The Carolina Way Location: ENC on Feb 7, 2011 at 06:11 AM
    Hasn't been updated in over 10 yrs? Old coach, old program, and 2 National Championships since! HAHAHAHAH
  • by The Carolina Way on Feb 6, 2011 at 07:21 PM
    This UNC Rap Sheet hasn't been updated in over 10 years, and it's still extremely long and distinguished. Some highlights - "Assault on a Female" - (multiple incidents) "Assault" (too many incidents to count) "Assault inflicting serious injury" "Cocaine possession, Assault" "Rape, Burglary" "Robbery with a dangerous weapon, Assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill, Inflicting serious injury" "Possession of Cocaine with intent to deliver" "Statutory Rape, Felony Cocaine Trafficking, Sale & Delivery of cocaine & marijuana" "First Degree Rape, Sex Offense of a Child, Crime Against Nature" "Assaulting a female, Assaulting a Police Officer, Trespassing" "Assault, Felony Sex Offense" The full list, which hasn't been updated since 2000, can be found at: http://www.carolinasucks.com/images/uncrapsheet.htm
  • by Anonymous on Feb 6, 2011 at 01:50 PM
    Hope you saw that Cards Falling!! Oh and Larry who???? Go Heels!!!! And Farmville, hope you're not an ECU fan talking about players getting arrested.
  • by Cards falling Location: ENC on Feb 6, 2011 at 06:27 AM
    Another testament to the falling reputation of the UNC Pooh Heels. UNC is the laughingstock of ALL NC schools. What we are seeing is a house of cards falling to the ground. Roy the boy toy is not that good of a coach anyway.
  • by Wal-Heel on Feb 5, 2011 at 11:01 PM
    Well, at least he spent more time at UNC than any of the Wal-Mart fans that post on this site.
  • by Farmville Location: Ken on Feb 4, 2011 at 04:56 PM
    It's good to see how tarhole fans support the student athlete. Wonder who is leaving or getting arrested tomorrow, love to see holes in the news...
  • by RdoubleD on Feb 4, 2011 at 03:40 PM
    I would have packed his bag and drove him to the airport myself. Get home to your daddy Drew.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 115306079 - witn.com/a?a=115306079