N.C. State Athletic Director Debbie Yow Speaks In Greenville

Greenville -- While N.C. State athletics director Debbie Yow would not take questions from the media during her visit to Greenville, she did begin her speech to the Greater Greenville Sports Club by addressing her reason for saying ECU has a psychological advantage over N.C. State when the teams meet on the playing field.

"I haven't reached the point where I'm so politically correct that I can't actually state the obvious and that is that generally speaking when we play (ECU vs. N.C. State) you're always going to have, in my opinion, you're going to have the psychological edge."

Yow later took questions from the members of the Greater Greenville Sports Club about the state of N.C. State athletics. She was also asked about future football scheduling involving East Carolina but said "Check with me in 2015."

The Pirates and Wolfpack are scheduled to play football again in 2013 and 2016.

------ previous story ------------------------------------

The Greater Greenville Sports Club will hold its first meeting in the month of November on Wednesday, Nov. 10, 2010 at the Hilton Greenville.

Wednesday’s meeting will feature North Carolina State University’s Director of Athletics, Debbie Yow.

The meeting runs from 12:00 pm – 1:00 pm and lunch will be catered by the Hilton Greenville. The lunch fee is $12 for members and $15 for non-members. The event is open to the public at the non-member fee.

Yow raised a more than a few eyebrows with comments made about the ECU - N.C. State football series. Below is the story originally posted on witn.com on October 29th.

---- original story ---

NC State University Athletic Director Debbie Yow said on a radio show Friday afternoon, when her school plays East Carolina University, it means more to ECU. Yow was a guest Friday on The David Glenn Show on Pirate Radio 1250am and 930am when she made the statement.

Yow was just named Athletic Director in June this year. She says she was not present for the scheduling of games with ECU and then dropped a bomb about NC State's performance against ECU. "The game means more to ECU than it does to NC State. So we're always going to be at a disadvantage when we play the game, just psychologically," said Yow on the radio show.

She says NC State has 2 more games scheduled against ECU in 2013 and 2016, so she will not have to think about scheduling another ECU game until around 2015.

• by Anonymous on Jan 19, 2011 at 10:58 AM
    Hey...let's hear it for YOW'S COWS! What a class act..take the "cl" off class and that sums up Ms. Yow.
  • by Bob Location: ENC on Nov 17, 2010 at 07:36 PM
    Some of the State fans claim that ECU's game with them is our Super Bowl, in other words, it's bigger than winning our Conference Title. Now their coach says that beating Carolina is bigger than winning the ACC title. Sounds like a bunch of sour grapes, bias from the state faithful. Thanks to their athletic director they're taking a step down to a lower level with their current out of conference schedule. And they always used as an excuse not to play ECU, was that they wanted to rise to a higher level, by playing Notre Dame, Alabama, Ohio, Georgia, Texas, Tennessee. Funny I don't see any of them in their out of conference schedule. If ECU & State is not a rivalry as some folks claim, why are the stadiums at both schools always sold out. A lot of fans at both schools enjoy this game, over a hundred thousand. So, why isn't this game good for the state & the schools. It's a shame they have picked an athletic director, that holds so much bias towards another in state school
  • by Anonymous on Nov 12, 2010 at 10:02 AM
    Again, I say drop the series with UNC and NCSU. We don't need them. Schedule better teams like WVU, USC(Cocks), Miami, Georgia, etc. these teams would do more toward building a better team than UNC and NCSU. If State is good why do they feel the need to schedule Western Carolina? They use to play App State until the Mountaineers started beating them!
  • by Sam Location: Kitty Hawk on Nov 12, 2010 at 09:55 AM
    Arch, there is no doubt that NCSU and UNC are both older and have had football for longer. I beleive it was 1970 that was the first ECU-NCSU football game. State should offer more degrees than ECU since State has more students and a larger campus. As far as West Virginia, even though they can be some of the worst acting fans I've seen, one of the civilized WV fans who came down here for the 24-3 game from Charleston WV, where they live (I know Morgantown is where WVU is) and said that he would much rather play ECU every single year and not play Marshall at all. They like Greenville and Dowdy-Ficklen much better than Huntington and whatever stadium Marshall plays in. As far as I have been told, Clemson is a state supported school just like South Carolina and Coastal, but I may be wrong about that.
  • by arch Location: winterville on Nov 12, 2010 at 09:03 AM
    sam, the difference is, ncsu and unc have been playing football for over 100 years. we started playing east carolina in what, the 70s? ecu DOESN'T award as many degrees as ncsu, incoming freshman classes are larger and the graduation rate is higher. i don't even know how you'd come to that conclusion. and in four years of school, i was taught by one pirate. i can only speak for my college, but most of its teachers came from harvards, cals, uclas, princetons, dukes, and mits. so perhaps in the college of education (i doubt it) but doubtful anywhere else. comparing programs in other states doesn't really work with the ones in NC(5 total). but if you wanted one, see how eager WV is to visit marshall, UVA/VT is JMU, or South Carolina to go to whatever is public in SC but not clemson. THOSE schools can play you because they don't get exposure here (NC) week in/out. i PROMISE if you picked ECU up and placed it into ANY one of those states they'd refuse to play you.
  • by Sam Location: Kitty Hawk on Nov 12, 2010 at 06:25 AM
    To "To Sam" maybe I went a little overboard when it comes to that. My wife and I have a couple 4 houses down from us that the man went to N.C. State and the woman went to UNC. They have 2 kids in college right now, one at ECU and the other at Wake Forest. I will say this, for being in the ACC stuff, they are good people and have had nothing but good things to say about ECU. It's just mostly your old timer alumni, and some of the younger ones, including current students, that are the self-righteous ones who think their school is the most superior one or like a Public Ivy. Both of my parents went to ECU and so did one of my Granddaddys (who also played baseball there). They have told me the whole thing. It's UVA and Va Tech that has always shown more respect. I'll pull for UVA #2 cause my dad went to law school up there and he gives back a little bit, but not like he does to ECU. To NCSU>ECU, first of all that was one of ECU's worst seasons ever. Remember when ECU beat NCSU 33-6 in 1999?
  • by NCSU>ECU on Nov 11, 2010 at 07:39 PM
    if everyone wants to go back and talk about the past we will..just remember in 2004 it was NC STATE 52-14 over the purple panzies
  • by ben on Nov 11, 2010 at 07:36 PM
    'TO BEN'...if you look at facts than you would see that North Carolina State University is THE BEST university in the state...accept it and get over it!
  • by Bob Location: ENC on Nov 11, 2010 at 03:34 PM
    Yow says she won't even look at the series with ECU until 2015. Wonder why, so they can fill up their schedule with other teams & won't have any dates available to play ECU(other than 2013, 2016) until about 2022. Sounds like to me that Yow prefers ending the series with ECU since we have the psychological advantage. It must be poor coaching on their part if they can't get up for a game with ECU. How can they compete with the Division II teams that they seem to prefer playing. Surely they have a psychological advantage.
  • by To Sam on Nov 11, 2010 at 12:56 PM
    You sound like a very loyal fan and alum. They should be so lucky to have someone that is such a strong supporter. I'm sorry if you don't feel they get the respect they deserve. Maybe one day. I will say not all UNC or NCSU alumni are rude and self-righteous hypocrites. My boyfriend is a UNC grad and one of the finest people I have ever had the pleasuring of meeting. I guess all schools do have some good eggs.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 106916428 - witn.com/a?a=106916428