Posted: 7:53 PM
- Brian Holberton homered, Trent Thornton pitched a strong seven innings and No. 1 national seed North Carolina extended its stay at the College World Series with a 4-2 victory over LSU on Tuesday.
- North Carolina State's Carlos Rodon pitched eight shutout innings and the Wolfpack knocked ACC pitcher of the year Kent Emanuel out of the game early in an 8-1 victory in their College World Series opener Sunday.
- Greg Biffle raced to his second straight Sprint Cup victory at Michigan International Speedway, easily holding off Kevin Harvick after points leader Jimmie Johnson smacked the wall in the final laps Sunday.
- Friday was NFL day on the Washington waterfront with more than a dozen NFL players, many of them local guys, out signing autographs before their celebrity basketball game in the evening, and free football camp Saturday at Washington High School.
- The kickoff time for East Carolina’s season-opening non-conference home contest against Old Dominion, scheduled for August 31 at Dowdy-Ficklen Stadium, has been set for 7:00 p.m. (EDT) to accommodate a live FOX College Sports (FCS) television broadcast according to an announcement from Conference USA and network officials Wednesday.