1 1/2 cups of plain cornmeal (avoid mixes or self-rising cornmeal)
1/2 cup flour
1 Tbs. baking powder
3/4 tsp. salt
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/3 stick of butter to grease the pan
- Start by preheating your oven to 400 degrees, with a large cast iron skillet in the oven, preheating as well.
- Combine your dry ingredients in large bowl:
1 1/2 cups of plain cornmeal (avoid mixes or self-rising cornmeal),
1/2 cup flour,
1 Tbs. baking powder,
3/4 tsp. salt,
1/4 cup sugar.
- Combine other ingredients in small bowl:
1/4 cup milk,
1/2 cup vegetable oil,
- Blend the wet ingredients together, then add to the large bowl. Mix the ingredients together throroughly.
- Once the oven has preheated, take out the skillet, and grease it with butter. A well-greased skillet will make it easier for you to get the finished bread out later, so I usually use 1/3 stick of butter to be on the safe side. Don’t forget the inside sides of the skillet! Put the skillet back in the oven, and wait about 3 minutes before taking it out again, and then adding the corn bread batter.
- Bake the bread for about 30 minutes, until the top is golden brown. I like to use a toothpick to test it, too. If the toothpick comes out of the bread without crumbs attached, you know it’s at least cooked all the way through.
- Once the bread is done, carefully transfer it to a plate or large cutting board, slice it up, and enjoy!