- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup soft margarine or butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Decorating stuff
- In a large bowl, beat powdered sugar and margarine with an
electric mixer on medium speed, or mix with a spoon, until smooth.
- Break egg into a small bowl and beat slightly with a fork.
- Add egg to sugar mixture and stir in vanilla extract.
- Stir in flour, baking soda, and cream of tartar.
- For best results, cover the dough and refrigerate for about two
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Lightly flour counter or use a dough board. Place half of dough on
surface and form a ball. Rub some flour on the rolling pin and roll
dough to about 1/8 inch thickness.
- Using a Christmas tree cutter cut out several cookies. Place about
2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. If using egg yolk paint,
decorate before baking.
- Bake 7 to 8 minutes or until lightly brown. Cool completely before
using frosting or glaze to decorate or it will melt.
One cookie contains 60 calories; 3 g fat; 5 g cholesterol (if using
butter); 60 mg sodium; 7 g carbohydrate; 1g protein.
Here is a link to Meredith's Recipe for snowy sugar glaze.