- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed in cup
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 teaspoon rum extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup sifted flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg white, slightly beaten
- 1 cup walnuts, finely chopped
- red and green jelly (use apple for green)
- Cream butter with brown sugar until light in medium sized bowl. Beat in egg yolk and flavorings. Sift in flour and salt gradually, blending well. Chill dough 1-2 hours or overnight.
- Shape about a half tablespoon of dough at a time into small balls by rolling lightly between palms of hands. Dip each in beaten egg white and roll in walnuts. Place on ungreased cookie sheet. Make hollow holes in center of each cookie with tip of finger or handle of wooden spoon, taking care not to lose roundness of cookie. While making balls, work fast so dough doesn’t become too soft. If necessary, leave part of dough in refrigerator so it stays firm.
- Bake at 375°F for 5 minutes. Remove from oven and press in center again. Return to oven and bake 10 minutes longer or until cookies are firm.
- Remove from oven and fill center of each cookie with red or green jelly, making about half of each kind. Remove from cookie sheet and cool on wire rack. Makes about 3 dozen cookies.
Eat and enjoy!!!!