NC New Car Sales Rose 12.5 Percent In 2011

New car sales are up for the second consecutive year in North Carolina and beating the national average.

The Charlotte Observer reports that new car sales rose 12.5 percent in 2011, compared to the national average of 10.3 percent. The state Automobile Dealers Association says North Carolinians bought nearly 354,000 new cars last year.

The association predicts new sales won't return to 2007 levels, when nearly 462,000 vehicles were sold, until 2015.

Yet some Charlotte dealers say their 2011 sales nearly reached 2007 levels.

Association executive director Loretta Allman says many dealers were just trying to survive amid and following the Great Recession. Now they're investing in remodeling and upgrading their facilities. Allman says that shows optimism.

• by Shine Location: NE NC on Jan 8, 2012 at 11:29 PM
    NC STATE GOV. bought them ------ they just don't have a clue where they are = makes the ratio go up though..... nothing like running a false economy projection/ratio.
  • by Back Location: Gvlle on Jan 8, 2012 at 10:25 PM
    Call me what you want..but GM can go bust and I won't lose a minute of sleep. They get a waiver from parts of obamacare since they are union members. So why should union members get special treatment? I would love an answer to that question from one of you obama/union fans. And the millions of taxpayer dollars spent on the Volt? Wasted money. Not only are the sales of the Volt lass than dismal; the Volt's battery becomes unstable and has exploded on some cars AFTER they were involved in a wreck and put back on the road. Also, the charging stations are having troubles of their own. This info you have to search for on unbiased news agencies. Has anyone seen this info on any of the lame stream media channels? Didn't think so. They don't want to tarnish obama's green record or hurt his chances of reelection. And GM's president wants to put a dollar tax on gas to help boost the Volt even more. Oh yea; let's not forget the troubles they're having with the fuel management system they have now. I personally know 2 people that have had to replace their engines due to this problem. And don't expect them to volunteer this info. I had to pull the Better Business card out when I called the local dealer to inquire about the problem. They said there was no problem until I threatened to call the BBB. I was told not to worry about it because I had a 100,000 mile warranty on the engine. When I asked what they will do after 100,000 miles and it happens...the maintenance manager could not give me an answer. I like my Chevy but it WILL be my last.
  • by Connie Location: Greenville on Jan 8, 2012 at 07:24 PM
    Awwww...thats nice and I am happy for the car dealers and the owners of the new cars. For myself I prefer to drive my 91 Chevy and don't have to be worry about big car payments every month!!! I don't even want a new truck/car I am happy with what I have.
  • by Jim Location: local on Jan 8, 2012 at 07:23 PM
    Can't you folks accept anything as good news? Why so much negativity? You all must be great to be around.
      by Formerly O.L.I. on Jan 9, 2012 at 05:23 AM in reply to Jim
      If unemployment figures were lower, higher car sales would make sense. Being positive is nice, but you have to stay in touch with reality too.
  • by Tina on Jan 8, 2012 at 03:46 PM
    There must be something to the rumor that the Republicans will do anything to hamper the economy, they hate to hear or see anything positive about the economy. Great job that the American Auto manufactures are doing. Just think how they were on the brink of bankruptcy just 3-4 years ago. Obama 2012!!
      by m on Jan 8, 2012 at 05:24 PM in reply to Tina
      ObamaNot.... His tenure is about to expire get use to that thought... It's his version of politics that have been BAD for the US economy.
      by Vance on Jan 8, 2012 at 05:29 PM in reply to Tina
      Did you not read the report???4 years ago(2007)there were 462,000 sold!Today after all the trillion dollar stimuLIES there were only 354,000 sold.Read what you want to read and be brained washed.I see the numbers in front of me ,and they dont lie!
  • by pete Location: grifton on Jan 8, 2012 at 03:03 PM
    I owned G.M vehicles since 1968,you note that I said owned .no more I bought a 2012 nissan.no more poor quality GM or should I say government motors.cheap seats so the union boys can have better health insurance.ship all of G.M to china as far as I'M concerned.
  • by Momof3 Location: SQ on Jan 8, 2012 at 01:58 PM
    I totally agree. Hurrican Irene was the cause!
  • by China's Optimistic! on Jan 8, 2012 at 12:37 PM
    Yep the good old chevy company in getting right to pack up and move to china so they can make their volt over there.More of our technology going to china.Way to go obama for the bailout just so the product can be moved to china.Nice Move!
      by Anonymous on Jan 8, 2012 at 04:05 PM in reply to China's Optimistic!
      I don't think the Chevy Volt had anything to do with the sales increase. The Volt sales are not that great yet. The article did not specify any one Car company, but that NEW CAR SALES WERE UP. That's a great indicator that the economy is getting better.
        by CHINA'Syour language on Jan 8, 2012 at 05:15 PM in reply to
        Did you read the #'s of 2007 and compare them to now and going to make a like comment that?HA!
  • by Anonymous Location: Columbia on Jan 8, 2012 at 12:29 PM
    Thanks Hurricane Irene for inflating the numbers.
      by Anonymous on Jan 8, 2012 at 03:33 PM in reply to
      Who cares!They are still too small.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 136908643 - witn.com/a?a=136908643