NC Governor Vetoes Health Plan, Student Loan Bills

Gov. Beverly Perdue has vetoed two bills, including one that would have required monthly premiums for all active North Carolina state workers and teachers for health insurance.

Perdue spokeswoman Chrissy Pearson said Wednesday that Perdue vetoed a proposal that would have closed a more than $500 million shortfall for the State Health Plan for the next two years. Perdue said Republican leaders left out retired workers and teachers' groups from the discussion of the bill.

Perdue also vetoed a measure that allowed community college campuses to opt out of participating in a federal student loan program. She said the bill would have denied students the opportunity to get an education.

Perdue has now vetoed four bills in 2011 -- the most ever by a North Carolina governor in a year.

• by Jim Location: Grifton on Apr 14, 2011 at 06:29 PM
    Great job Bev!
  • by Anonymous Location: Greenville on Apr 14, 2011 at 06:19 PM
    I too pay for my individual coverage AND the coverage of my wife and kids so why can't a state employee do the same? Like I said before.....it beats getting laid off. I've had that happen to me as well. It's no picnic.
      by P on Apr 15, 2011 at 01:53 PM in reply to
      Because it's partvof working for less and working for the state and if you pay for dependent coverage state workers sure pay more than others
  • by Anonymous on Apr 14, 2011 at 04:51 PM
    Good job Beverly Purdue. Thank you for standing up for the State Employees. You may just get my vote after all.
  • by g-parent Location: Williamston on Apr 14, 2011 at 01:34 PM
    Now remember we DHHS State employees have not had a raise is a long time. When we did get a raise it was very small. So take into consideration the cost of living that goes up and up and our salaries which have not gone up. The medical insurance is the one thing that I felt was helping to cover the lack of salary. My sister works for a bank and just her quarterly bonus is more than I even make in 3 months. That doesn't even include her salary. Some of you may not even know how little some of us make. Job security has kept me as an employee but that seems to be no longer the case.
  • by Bubba on Apr 14, 2011 at 12:44 PM
    Yeah... from what I hear, the only premium paid is the individual... any part of your family on the insurance pays out the nose.
  • by Steve Location: Kinston on Apr 14, 2011 at 12:18 PM
    In my opinion, if one state employee would have to pay for a part of their insurance, which I am not opposed to paying, ALL state employees should be subject to the same rule. The reason she vetoed the bill is because it did not exempt teachers and retired state employees from having to pay the partial premium. I agree that retired state employees should NOT have to pay anything for their insurance, as long as they retied with the required amount of years to qualify for it being paid. ALL active employees should have to pay if only one employee has to pay. Teachers should NOT be exempt from something that every other state employee would have to pay.
      by Rusty Shackelford on Apr 14, 2011 at 01:50 PM in reply to Steve
      I have never agreed with the phrase "Teachers and State Employees" if teachers are state employees then it should be state employees period. By constantly referring to Teachers and State Employees it tends to create division between all state employees. What is good for one group of state employees should be good for all.
        by Kane on Apr 14, 2011 at 06:24 PM in reply to Rusty Shackelford
        It's a division of education and job description. As a teacher you would work for the county but get paid with state funds. Hence the difference.
          by Fact Bringer on Apr 14, 2011 at 11:13 PM in reply to Kane
          In my experience, funds are most easily cut from: those with lesser voice and power, those with lesser numbers, and those with lesser education.. in that order. I've been a state employee with higher education than other state employees and watched those employees reap rewards. What hapened? I moved upward and onward. Out of state employment. This will push more educated and qualified upward, and out of NC.
  • by Dennis Location: ENC on Apr 14, 2011 at 12:10 PM
    Well, if they are not paying for their own insurance then they should start.
      by 15yr state worker DOC on Apr 14, 2011 at 07:19 PM in reply to Dennis
      you get a state job and work for these poor wadges and you will want and need every benefit that was offered to you also.15 years ago my insurance package was offered to me as part of my salery,pay me the difference in dollars and i will go get my own insurance policy.I will bet i can find one with better coverage than the state offers Dennis.Its easy to make comments when you dont have all the facts.
  • by Rusty Shackelford Location: Pitt County on Apr 14, 2011 at 12:04 PM
    I wouldn't mind paying a premium IF the deal between the state and BCBS is investigated. Generally speaking if you have health care coverage through your employer and pay a premium for the coverage the employer also picks up some of that cost. Usually half or more. To add my daughter to my state plan costs $250.00 per month, if the state is picking up half of that the total premium is $500 per month. Yet I have a private plan through BCBS for $140 per month total. BCBS is ripping off the state plain and simple.
      by James on Apr 14, 2011 at 02:04 PM in reply to Rusty Shackelford
      Rusty, the company I work for uses BCBS of NC. I pay $ 180 every two weeks, they claim they pay $ 540 every two weeks. Add these two together... $ 1440 per month for Blue Advantage Plan A for a family plan not including dental. Someone is getting ripped off and it's probably me. But this is a private company, not the state. So for $ 360 out of my pocket per month, I can't really complain. Why can't state workers pay "something" out of their pockets also.
      by P on Apr 15, 2011 at 01:56 PM in reply to Rusty Shackelford
      They really need to investigate those that have run the state health plan first! They also need to go after those people that have been overpaid through error! They need to go after the people that commit fraud! They need to start with the politicians and lobbyists!
  • by George Location: Greenville on Apr 14, 2011 at 11:13 AM
    I don't see any reason why a state worker or a teacher can't pay a monthly premium for their insurance. It sure beats getting laid off!
      by Anonymous on Apr 15, 2011 at 03:46 AM in reply to George
      Well as a teacher asst. I can tell you it will take a chunk out of my little check...but oh well..looks like I'll be laid off anyway.
  • by Anonymous on Apr 14, 2011 at 10:59 AM
    They already pay premiums for family and spouse to be covered, this proposal was for individual coverage.
      by ginny on Apr 14, 2011 at 02:15 PM in reply to
      most of you commenting don't even know what you are talking about the covererage is for individuals only teachers and state employees pay for their spouse and family already which is ridiculously high like 500 for family considering the education deficit they already want teachers to do more miracles with less and less why anyone would want a career in education these days is beyond me
        by robert Moye on Apr 14, 2011 at 04:20 PM in reply to ginny
        and you for some reason think that they should be exempt? private sector employees play for a portion of their health care coverage, as well as the children and spouses. the problem is that you are like all government grabbers, you want everyone else to pay your way.
          by P on Apr 15, 2011 at 01:58 PM in reply to robert Moye
          Teachers should also receive combat pay!

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 119827764 - witn.com/a?a=119827764