Early Bird Shoppers Spend Thanksgiving In Line

The line at Best Buy is continuing to grow as people camp out in chilly air to claim Black Friday deals when the store opens at midnight. The early bird shoppers say the big deal they are after is a 42" TV on sale for $200.

WITN checked in with the first person in line at Best Buy. He says he is surprised by the negative comments people are posting about the people standing in line at Best Buy. He says going after Black Friday deals is their family tradition now, that his family members come visit him in line.

Previous Story:
A line is already forming at a Greenville big box store ahead of Black Friday shopping.

So far six people are outside the Best Buy on South Evans Street, with the line forming at 6:00 a.m.

The store opens at midnight Thanksgiving night, so those in line will need to stay there a total of 42 hours. One man in the line says they plan to have Thanksgiving dinner brought to them by family members.

And what are they waiting for? Most say they want to grab up great deals on computers and televisions Friday morning.

This afternoon two people in a tent showed up at the Best Buy in Jacksonville.

SEARCHING FOR BLACK FRIDAY DEALS IN YOUR AREA?
Click on the link below:

• by US-First Location: Greenville on Nov 26, 2011 at 10:28 AM
    You realize that if no one showed up to support these Black Friday sales the items would still go on sale without all the fan fair. Another corporate gimmick gone bad in this country. Rates right up there with the stupidity of the NC tax free holiday.
      by Formerly O.L.I. on Nov 26, 2011 at 03:13 PM in reply to US-First
      You're probably right. I worked in one of our area higher-end stores, and the first thing we had to do with merchandise was do 'mark downs'. In other words, we used ink pens to cross out the original price on the tags, then penned in the 'mark down' price. This led the shoppers to believe they were already getting a deal on new clothing. The items would be marked down further, in the coming weeks, to make room for the new merchandise. Finally, the unsold 'marked down' merchandise wound up on carousels with the '50% Off' signs above them. I was astounded that a $70 ladies jacket could become $20 in just a few weeks. It is a gimmick, but some stores are more abusive with it than others.
  • by With My Mom Location: New Bern on Nov 25, 2011 at 03:28 PM
    Last night, I stood in line at the target in New Bern with my mother so she would not have to be there alone. Like some others, she was there to save a little bit of money on Christmas gifts for our family. I guess we are "losers." After last night, I realized that 50% of the individuals standing in the line were 16 years old and younger. It was mostly a bunch of middle school kids, who apparently do not have curfews, that had nothing better to do but to gather at these stores with no intentions of purchasing anything. While in line at 12am, there were people driving by in their cars taking pictures and recording the long lines on video. They drove by several times, and some would also scream out the window. Of course, the middle school girls screamed back at them . . . To me, some of the people in line were at the store for a reason. The people who kept driving by, screaming out the window, taking pictures, are the "loosers." Riding back and forth at 12am to look at the black friday lines like they are Christmas lights . . . Seriously
      by Madam X on Nov 25, 2011 at 04:44 PM in reply to With My Mom
      At least you do realize you are a loser.
      by Formerly O.L.I. on Nov 26, 2011 at 05:14 AM in reply to With My Mom
      With My Mom, noble of you to stay by your Mother's side. Keep in mind that there are situations in this world like that one, with the people riding by gawking, if you put yourself in them. You and your Mom have a good weekend.
  • by Penny Location: Washington on Nov 25, 2011 at 10:46 AM
    People are out here looking for a great deal, when the best deal in the entire world is FREE!! And that my friend is SALVATION!! If the lines outside of churches were this long our country may not be in the shape that it is now!! #imjustsaying
      by Anonymous on Nov 26, 2011 at 07:27 AM in reply to Penny
      Salvation is free however if the church lines were as long as these stores it would still be some issues cause church folks,act crazy too at church or not
  • by Saracastic Location: Winterville on Nov 25, 2011 at 06:38 AM
    I am shocked at all the hostile comments. Folks, you do not control everything. Chill out, they are not hurting you and if they chose to sit at Best Buy that is their choice.
  • by joe Location: North carolina on Nov 25, 2011 at 05:35 AM
    Looks like Jesus is not the real reason for the season. Looks like the real reason for the season is to get people to spend money they do not have for things they do not need so Wal-Mart and other retailers can seel more Chinese-made stuff.
      by Penny on Nov 25, 2011 at 10:48 AM in reply to joe
      I agree a hundred percent. If the lines outside of church was this long then I wouldn't have such an issue with it. I really don't have a probelm with it but it just shows how materialistic we have become as a society!!
  • by Disgrunteled Walmart Shopper Location: Martin County on Nov 25, 2011 at 03:17 AM
    I went to the Walmart in Williamston at 10 last night when some of the deals were suppose to start. I thought I was two hours early for the 12 o'clock sales. But no, they gave out tickets earlier in the day for the items that were on sale at 12. I wanted the computer for $198, they "sold" out of it at 4 in the afternoon. That seems like false advertising to me. If the items on sale were something that you were suppose to receive a ticket for, it looks like that would have been a part of the advertising; like what Best Buy advertised. It seems to me, that only certain people knew when the tickets were going to be given away. I was furious. I put everything down and walked out. I could have been there to get a ticket if I was one of the "chosen" few. Walmart lost a customer last night.
      by The Joker on Nov 25, 2011 at 04:44 PM in reply to Disgrunteled Walmart Shopper
      Har har - SO you didn't save 10 dollars on a computer. Get online - You can probably get it cheaper, but then you may have to wait a couple of days to get it.
        by Anonymous on Nov 26, 2011 at 06:46 PM in reply to The Joker
        Actually, "The Joker", it was a pretty good deal. You can't find too many $200 laptops. I don't usually do the Black Friday thing. I haven't went out in years to fight the crowd. However, my problem was the false advertising. I'm not the only one. There are a lot of reports now on the internet of people who are upset about the false advertising that Walmart did. Witn, you should do an investigative report on how many Wal-Marts did this.
      by Formerly O.L.I. on Nov 26, 2011 at 03:17 PM in reply to Disgrunteled Walmart Shopper
      Actually, Disgruntled, I sympathize with you on that one. The store should have let shoppers know about the tickets. You'll get better deals and service at Target or Staples anyway. You probably saved yourself your good money for a better deal too.
  • by Stepmom Location: ENC on Nov 24, 2011 at 10:57 PM
    I do not see why so many people must sit here and try to judge the type of people standing in line waiting to purchase gifts for their loved ones or for themselves. If its something they like to do, then so be it. I personally know one that is in that line and he has a full time job with the county providing emergency service and is heavily involved with the church. I am, as well as his dad, proud that he has the courage to do this and brave the elements of the weather as well as criticism from others to buy a gift for his new wife.
      by Mister Beavers on Nov 25, 2011 at 04:46 PM in reply to Stepmom
      This is the funniest comment yet. What courage it must take to wait in line for 2 days to save 5 dollars.
  • by Lavon Location: Goldsboro on Nov 24, 2011 at 07:44 PM
    Man leave those people alone. If they want to stand out there then thats their business and not yours. Who do you think you are calling someone names just because you don't like what they are doing? That's the great thing about living in this country, you can do these type of things and not care what anyone thinks about it...What, you think this is a communist country or something what you think matters? Get a life..
      by Frank Sinatra on Nov 25, 2011 at 05:46 PM in reply to Lavon
      I am going to have to reassess my life. I actually agree with Lavon.
  • by Sch on Nov 24, 2011 at 05:56 PM
    I don't believe they are doing anything wrong but I don't understand spending my holiday in front of a store rather than with my family. Life is short children grow up and parents and grand parents die. No material thing is worth one of the few times of the year my whole family is together.
      by Anonymous on Nov 24, 2011 at 07:46 PM in reply to Sch
      tremendous deals expire too!
  • by BOGUS SALE on Nov 24, 2011 at 04:50 PM
    The funny thing is this. Best Buy will only have about 10 of these TVs. Whats the other 300 plus peeps gonna do when they sell out? Bunch of crazy people in this world. I for one would never camp out all night especially in Greenville. They are just sitting targets for would be ROBBERS. YIKES hope the wait is worth the risk!

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 134390783 - witn.com/a?a=134390783