Gov. Perdue To Veto Jobless Benefits, Cuts

North Carolina Gov. Beverly Perdue is vetoing legislation that would keep unemployment benefits flowing for about 37,000 long-term jobless workers but also force her to accept a double-digit budget cut.

Perdue's office said Saturday she will veto the bill. House members met hours earlier to force her into a choice on the same day authorization for the jobless benefits runs out. Legislation extending the federally funded benefits for workers out of work for up to 99 weeks included language forcing the Democratic governor to also accept a 13 percent cut as a starting point for negotiations over the next budget year.

Republican legislative leaders said they were ensuring schools and state agencies can count on funding if negotiations drag into the new budget year starting in July.

• by Obama Snake Oil co Location: Washington on Apr 18, 2011 at 04:15 PM
    Naah...we just fishing for why you voted for this? Oh, I read Becks book arguring with idiots...what chapter are you in? Lets see...we are upset, yelling..and that is all you have? Hmmm, sounds like like his dedication to his book. Good luck with that hopey changey thing...sounds like bird flu...
  • by Anonymous on Apr 18, 2011 at 02:35 PM
    Gotta love it.. this is completely a REPUBLICAN MOVE, yet they're all on here yelling about it. Just goes to show, ANYTHING a Democrat does makes them upset. If she was republican, y'all would be dancing in the streets, calling this wonderful. Y'all some idiots.
  • by Obama Snake Oil co Location: Washington on Apr 17, 2011 at 02:51 PM
    Where are the Purdue voters now? Keep voting that straight ticket....I sure hope none of you posting were her supporters..they have names for you....
  • by nlee1 Location: Bertie County on Apr 17, 2011 at 07:03 AM
    Politics, is a terrible thing. These guys care do not care about anyone who is unemployed...On the other hand, they do not care for those that are employed either. What will happen to those 30,000 plus people losing these benefits. These guys will fall under the radar and the unemployment number will "LOOK" better. Being unemployed break up familes...lose homes, and in some cases people committ suicide. I know of cases where uneployed people have gone back to school to get retrained for jobs that do not exist. We are begining to become a third world nation within one of the richest countries on earth. And for those of on this thread that ar saying the unemployed should be drug tested...i take it that you have never been unemployed. There are people on welfare that are not required to be drug tested. I know people right now that work for the Postal Service that are hard core grug users. So lets not stomp on the unemployed. The rules for applying for unemployment is that you've had to lost your job due to no fault of your own and have at least 18 months before beoming unemployed. That's it. The answer here is more jobs...jobs that can help people recover. Working at McDonalds is fine....but if you cannot pay your bills, then that is not the place for you. If you cannot pay for your home due to being unemployed the bank don't care...they will take your home...then what! Try that one on for size. I have a friend who is a scientist and she is out of work. I have a friend that was a exeutive assistant and she is out of work......this is not just factory workers that are out of work...or the uneducated. Or, the lazy as someone has on this thread has suggested.
      by Anonymous on Apr 21, 2011 at 07:21 AM in reply to nlee1
      nlee1, and you blame ALL this on the Repubs? None of this is the fault of the current admin? It's all about the Repubs not wanting to continue to spend money we really don't have. Repubs trying to see the big picture is stupid and selfish. If we don't have the discipline to start saying no and cutting our spending we WILL be a 3rd world country. As a nation WE ARE BROKE (this includes our states)! I keep seeing LaToya Jackson (on Celebrity Apprentice) trying to demand Starr Jones purchase banners that aren't in the budget. Starr is saying, "LaToya, we only have $3500. All the banners combined cost $7200." You already see the problem, right? However LaToya doesn't she shoots back, "I'm the Project Manager you have to listen to me." This is our current state of affairs locally and nationally. The Repubs are represented by Starr Jones and the Dems LaToya Jackson. People don't seem to get it money printed from thin air has dire consequences attached. We're starting to see and feel some of the consequences even as we have this discussion. C'mon people on a more personal level...how many of you maxed out your credit cards? Can you still use them without first paying them down?
  • by crazyhorse Location: washington on Apr 17, 2011 at 01:04 AM
    Does anyone realize that even with a minimum wage job, you are still able to get welfare. Couple need to start staying together through thick and thin. One person working to feed a family of 3 on minimum wage can't be done without welfare assistance still. All good jobs have left the USA in favor of the strongest nation in the world, China. Thanks to our great free trade. The US needs to break out of a 50 state country and start combining states to maybe have 20 or less to represent the US, then lose congress period and let each state govern itself without a president just a governor. That will equal in the long run better healthcare, better pay and more jobs and each government could still have rising costs but lower taxes. Take a look at Switzerland. The best healthcare in the world. No one is helping the US in our time of struggle. Help ourselves NOW and in time we can become a nation to help others again. Things happen bad all the time but it's not caused by us. Been that way since Adam and Eve.
  • by Anonymous on Apr 16, 2011 at 10:04 PM
    It's sad to see so many lame excuses on here. There are many jobs to be had for those willing to "lower" themselves enough to get a paying job. Had no problem cleaning out horse stables with a Batchelor degree during the last major recession in the early 1980s. Found all sorts of menial jobs until the economy improved. Had to go to where the jobs were and accept what I could find. It's time to get back to work. The gravy train is gone. Don't work- don't eat. It's that simple.
      by crazyhorse on Apr 17, 2011 at 12:52 AM in reply to
      No there aren't too many jobs for people to lower theirselves. With higher taxes , inflation less people are eating out and less shopping. Do you realize there are less jobs in NC than there are people. And McDonalds, Walmart or wherever you are talking about there are many jobs, most places are required by law to take so many applications a month, whether they are hiring or not, so the state has records of percentages of people applying for jobs in your county and state.
        by clint on Apr 17, 2011 at 06:29 PM in reply to crazyhorse
        No business is "required" to take applications of any sort, whether they are hiring or not. If they have openings they do the hiring process. If not, they don't, unless they choose to so they have a backlog of applicants. Where in the world did you get that?
          by redemption on Apr 17, 2011 at 11:54 PM in reply to clint
          Hate to say this but they can not turn you down giving you an application, thats discrimination. I work at NCES and much as I hate crazyhorse he is right. Clint get your facts straight.
          by Anonymous on Apr 20, 2011 at 02:56 PM in reply to clint
          Fox news, where else?
  • by Nauti1 Location: Washington on Apr 16, 2011 at 08:59 PM
    I was laid-off in July of 09 and have gone back to school. In the past 18 months I have applied to over 150 companies this side of the Mississippi and am tired of being told I am over qualified. I have applied for jobs making half of what I used to. In other words the job market SUCKS!!
      by BLAHammed on Apr 17, 2011 at 03:58 AM in reply to Nauti1
      Your not alone on that one,trust me.
  • by Steve Location: Ayden on Apr 16, 2011 at 08:55 PM
    Just think of all the kids and old people she is starving and putting on the streets just to make her politcal point!!! What a horrible, hateful woman.
  • by Anonymous Location: Washington on Apr 16, 2011 at 08:22 PM
    Its not about lowering myself AT ALL! I applied to McDonalds, I applied to Wal-mart and you know what I was told? That it wasn't worth hiring me because I have an education and as soon as I find a better paying job I would be gone. I have 2 small children that I support on my own because their father had a mid-life crisis. Daycare for my 4 year old is $130 (on average) per week. If I work at wal-mart making $7.35 per hour and they actually give me 40 hours thats $294 per week before taxes. You do the math. I want to work, I need to work. So since you think its so easy to just do anything then why not offer me a job? I hope you never lose yours...... better yet, I hope you do.
      by Anonymous on Apr 17, 2011 at 07:37 AM in reply to
      if they told you that anonymous you have every right to sue them that is called discrimination. didn't i read a post you said you haven't had a raise in 7 yrs.
  • by ENC on Apr 16, 2011 at 08:11 PM
    Mandatory drug testing prior to and while receiving unemployment money, that's what is needed most to get control.
      by Anonymous on Apr 16, 2011 at 11:14 PM in reply to ENC
      unemployment doesnt pay enough to start a drug problem
        by crazyhorse on Apr 17, 2011 at 01:28 AM in reply to
        all you need is a body and 2 minutes and no money needs to be involved. but mandating a drug policy for unemployed would be helpful but make one more strict for the employed getting away with drug use.
      by crazyhorse on Apr 17, 2011 at 12:47 AM in reply to ENC
      very true ENC,very true.But there needs to be more drug testing for the workforce too. Then those looking for jobs and been drug tested on unemployment their be an even hirer unemployment rate, but jobs will be abundant.
        by Anonymous on Apr 17, 2011 at 06:08 AM in reply to crazyhorse
        where do you guys get your information or what makes you that everybody that lost their job is on drugs i lost mine because of my hired date took a better job work because i was there less than 5 years me and 180 other people no drugs you guts need to lay off you dont know what you are talking about jerk
          by Anonymous on Apr 17, 2011 at 07:40 AM in reply to
          ahhh i didn't accuse you of drugs, duh, i said mandate a drug policy for workers and the unemployed make it equal.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 119976294 - witn.com/a?a=119976294