Cutting Your Cable Bill

If saving money is one of your new year's resolultions, you might want to start with a look at your cable bill.

The average monthly bill has nearly tripled in the past decade. The folks at "Smart Money" suggest calling your provider, and asking to extend any promotional deals you may have. Some companies will give you another year or two, but be prepared to push hard and negotiate.

The company may also have smaller packages which aren't widely advertised, so all you have to do is ask.

• by Willie T Location: Greenville on Jan 4, 2012 at 07:46 AM
    I tried to negotiate with Suddenlink. Guess what? Nope. When you are the only game in town, why negotiate. My kids had a dish and discovered it was as bad as the ads say. They gave it back and paid the huge early out psenalty. It was that bad. So there is no really good alternative. Monopolies really work. And while I am on the subject.....other cable companies in NC have a much better basic channel selection than Suddenlink.
  • by DIXIECHICK Location: ENC on Jan 4, 2012 at 06:30 AM
    I haven't had cable in two years and don't miss it. If there is a show that I can't get in the 37 channels on my digital box, I can usually find it on the internet. The bundles that include cable and phone are not a good idea anyway, especially for the elderly who refuse to have a cell phone. Since cable is the first thing that goes out in a storm, they have no way to call for help
  • by william Location: rocky mount on Jan 4, 2012 at 03:09 AM
    Free over the air tv won't be around much longer. GOP legislation attached to the new "jobs bill" allows for TV broadcasters to auction off their part of the spectrum to free up space for new (and probably frivoulous) wireless technology to have more space. And somehow it also makes money for the Government. What I read was very confusing. Surely WITN can post something understandable about this issue. Why let people in this country get something for free when we can figure out a way to make money on it?
  • by Colorado Cable Free Location: Monument, CO on Jan 3, 2012 at 01:32 PM
    Here is my list of free TV channels. 2-1 KWGN(CW), 2-2 THIS(movies), 4-1 KCNC(CBS), 5-1 KOAA(NBC), 5-2 News5 Now, 6-1 KRMA(PBS), 6-3 Create, 7-1 KMGH(ABC), 7-3 TheCoolTV(music videos), 7-4 24/7 News, 9-1 KUSA(NBC), 9-2 Accuweather, 11-1 KKTV(CBS), 11-2 MyKKTV, 12-1 KBDI(PBS), 12-2 KBDI , 12-3 MegaHertz Worldview, 13-1 KRDO(ABC), 20-1 MyNetworkTV in HD, 20-2 MeTV(classic TV), 21-1 KXRM(Fox), 31-1 KDVR(Fox), 31-2 "AntennaTV"(classic TV) 57-1 KXTU(CW) That must equal 4 channels.
  • by Tom Location: ENC on Jan 3, 2012 at 01:21 PM
    Call and ask for Peggy,he/she will fix you right up with a really good deal!
  • by cable is internet provider on Jan 3, 2012 at 09:49 AM
    We called TWC and told them to cancel the home phone and their rep said cancelling that part of the 'bundle' would raise the total price of our bill. So they reduced the initial offer for the 'bundle' by $15 and we kept the now almost useless landline. Whatever!
  • by Cable-free and lovin' it! Location: Greenville on Jan 3, 2012 at 09:19 AM
    We did away with our cable a couple of years ago, and it was a GREAT decision! We get 16 channels of "antenna" TV and pay NOTHING to receive an interesting variety of options. As a bonus, we are watching a lot more educational TV (travel, history, cooking, the arts, etc) than we ever did before -- thanks to 3 channels of PBS -- and it has TRULY enriched our lives. We used to think we couldn't live without cable, but we don't miss it at all AND have saved a bunch of money!
      by Audra - SoCal on Jan 3, 2012 at 12:01 PM in reply to Cable-free and lovin' it!
      There is no aerial reception where I live, but I got rid of it anyway. If I want to watch the occasional program, I watch what's accessible on the internet. I haven't had TV service for 4 years. I'm surviving just fine without it too. ;-)
      by Tumbleweeds on Jan 3, 2012 at 01:23 PM in reply to Cable-free and lovin' it!
      You officially have the most boring home in America.
        by Mike on Jan 3, 2012 at 05:42 PM in reply to Tumbleweeds
        We have no cable either and boy oh boy, my sex life hasn't been beterer. In fact lights out goes in 15 minutes so I will catch y'all on the flip side or in flip flops. :-)
        by Anonymous on Jan 4, 2012 at 06:22 AM in reply to Tumbleweeds
        I'd say if tv is your entertainment than you sir are truly living a life of pure excitement. Get off the couch and live a little.
      by Formerly O.L.I. on Jan 4, 2012 at 10:05 AM in reply to Cable-free and lovin' it!
      Sounds pretty good to me. I HATE commercials which are crammed between about 15 mins. total of any given program. Much of the cable programming isn't fit for children including many cartoons, commercials, sitcoms, and talk shows. I have sports and news lovers so stuck with cable, for now. My personal fav. is 'HGTV'.
  • by Greed on Jan 3, 2012 at 07:57 AM
    Our local ABC station keeps saying to call TWC and complain so you won't lose their programing. They say the increase in only 3 cents a day per customer. The math: 68,000 customers X 3 cents X 365 days = $744,600.
  • by Formerly O.L.I. Location: ENC on Jan 3, 2012 at 07:27 AM
    Speaking from experience, the only way to 'cut' your cable bill down is not to have it at all. They charge for every connection (phone, internet, TV) along with surcharges (whatever they are), taxes, and fees. The cheapest way to watch TV is with digital TV, or analog with digital converter box, but you'll only have four channels. You can also watch TV on your computer, if you have internet. You can't have it all, however, without paying that big bill.
      by 4 Channels? on Jan 3, 2012 at 08:39 AM in reply to Formerly O.L.I.
      Ever since the digital TV switch, we've had 11 channels and are now getting 15 channels. But even before the switch (7 years ago) we canceled our DirecTV because we were mainly watching re-runs of older shows that had already run on ABC, NBC, CBS & Fox. $54 per month x 7 years is over $4500 !... For movies, we buy used DVDs from half.com & Amazon (and the bargin bin @ Walmart)...then we sell them back on the internet. Buying used costs less than Nexflix!
        by Formerly O.L.I. on Jan 4, 2012 at 10:06 AM in reply to 4 Channels?
        There you go! There are alternatives.
  • by ncyankee Location: enc on Jan 3, 2012 at 05:08 AM
    have tried this with TWC, and they wont budge at all..waiting for my 2 yr to be up and then going elsewhere..and the people are not friendly at all..there should be laws to put caps on this kind of stuff..
      by chris on Jan 3, 2012 at 08:23 AM in reply to ncyankee
      The call center people at TWC are hateful. They advertise the $89.99 triple deal but it's only for NEW customers.
        by TWC IS A JOKE on Jan 3, 2012 at 12:41 PM in reply to chris
        Don't worry about not getting the $89.99 deal...it really isn't $89.99 at all. When your bill comes out you're looking at more like $130 by the time they charge all of their fees. I'd rather have NO service than to pay them for theirs.
      by Caps? on Jan 3, 2012 at 08:25 AM in reply to ncyankee
      It's not even a necessity! Cable TV is ENTERTAINMENT (except for the news & weather) and is not something you HAVE TO HAVE to survive. They can charge as much as they want to charge....you DON'T have to buy it. Your comment makes you sound like a socialist....are you an Obama voter?
        by ncyankee on Jan 4, 2012 at 10:00 AM in reply to Caps?
        not NO but 7734 NO. I was making a statement, because if I break the contract it is expensive..

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 136581873 - witn.com/a?a=136581873