Some Prescription Drugs Could Become Over-The-Counter

Some of the most widely used prescription drugs, including those to treat cholesterol and high blood pressure, could become over the counter.

The FDA says they are considering waiving prescription requirements for a range of drugs for ailments like diabetes, asthma and migraines. Driving the move is a wave of computer technology, including touch-screen kiosks found in pharmacies, designed to help patients self diagnose common diseases.

• by Sandra Location: Greenville on Mar 10, 2012 at 05:23 PM
    There are some clinics that do see patients on a sliding scale. By their income. Some people could afford their meds if they would choose to give up some other activities..
  • by Anonymous on Mar 9, 2012 at 01:21 PM
    If people are too stupid to learn how to take these prescription meds if they go OTC what does it matter to anyone else? It is not affecting you and they are paying are state money that it can use. People need to learn to worry about themselves and not others. So what if the lady next door doesnt know how to self -diagnose? Is that really YOUR problem? No. And for those who say they dont have insurance and cant afford meds, there is three options. 1. Get a Doctor who is cheap or lets you make payments 2. Go on medicaid 3. Stop Complaining
  • by country girl on Mar 9, 2012 at 10:24 AM
    what about those that do not have insurance and can not afford doctor visits and meds?
      by Anonymous on Mar 9, 2012 at 01:39 PM in reply to country girl
      That doesn't exist anymore with the beloved Obamacare.....hard working people like me now pay anyone's insurance that can't afford it through increased taxes and premiums so the pity me class can come sit beside me in the same doctor's office instead of going to the emergency room. It's the new American way called socialism.
  • by Anonymous on Mar 9, 2012 at 08:42 AM
    Great now insurance won't cover them!
  • by V on Mar 9, 2012 at 06:36 AM
    I for one do my level best to not take any drugs, prescription or otherwise. I found eating right (not nuking the vitamins values away or eating junkfood) and taking a couple of tablespoons of honey and using a nasal irrigator allowed me to STOP ALLERGY/ASTHMA doctors claimed I had. They shoved all sorts of prescriptions at me. Making more drugs more easily accessible just means more folks will be hooked in my opinion. The reason? My guess, patents have expired! Wonder if the authors of this article actually took a look?
      by Anonymous on Mar 9, 2012 at 01:41 PM in reply to V
      Yep, I'm hooked on blood pressure meds.....maybe I should try those no nuke veggies to help wean me off of them.....a big ole NOT!
  • by Eric Location: Chocowinity on Mar 8, 2012 at 07:34 PM
    I'm all for this. My doctor treats my asthma medicine like a narcotic, and will only let me get one refill per visit. However, my insurance will only pay for the visits if they're twice a year or fewer. My medicine is $45 a month, the doctor's office co-pay is $20, but it's another $135 I owe if the insurance doesn't cover it. So rather than write me a six-month prescription, the doctor's office wants me to go see them every month so they can get their $155 on top of the $45 the medicines cost. So basically $200 a month. I guess what I need to do is find a doctor whose office isn't greedy (they don't need to see me so often, and the medicine has no side effects) but it would be nice if I could just cut them loose and get my medicine over the counter.
      by Anonymous on Mar 9, 2012 at 01:42 PM in reply to Eric
      Easy solution......find another doctor cause this one's ripping you off.
      by Anonymous on Mar 15, 2012 at 11:16 AM in reply to Eric
      Find another Dr. That one's an idiot.
  • by heather Location: Gvegas on Mar 8, 2012 at 04:09 PM
    I think it is a GREAT idea!!! Antibiotics should be over the counter!!! You should not have to go and pay a doctor's fee to get them. And my Dad IS a doctor
      by The Wise One on Mar 8, 2012 at 06:30 PM in reply to heather
      Well, your dad needs to have a talk with you about antibiotic resistance; hopefully, that will enlighten you. Anti-hypertensives and oral hypoglycemics are fine for OTC, but NOT antibiotics.
        by Anonymous on Mar 9, 2012 at 07:52 AM in reply to The Wise One
        Anti-hypertensives and oral hypoglycemics are not fine for otc. High blood-pressure is a silent killer and should be monitored by a doctor. Diabetes should also be monitored by a doctor. Complications from diabetes can arise that can get overlooked if you bypass your doctor. It never ceases to amaze me that the FDA would remove some cold medicines from the market because people just aren't reading labels and dosing properly but they are actually considering making heart, cholesterol and diabetic medications over the counter. smh
      by ck on Mar 9, 2012 at 03:45 AM in reply to heather
      Yes, Heather, someone does need to discuss abx resistance with you and a host of other issues... like patients who abuse hypoglycemics (drugs that lower blood sugar) so they can get out of work or fake diseases... like how a diabetes diagnosis should never be a "self" diagnosis b/c of all the dangers associated with the disease and the need for frequent monitoring to 1. be sure you are getting adequate congtrol which 2. lowers your risk of heart disease and 3. could prevent you from developing renal failure. As for Eric, above, your doctor treats asthma like is a "narcotic" w/one month prescriptions b/c he/she is not sure you are getting adequate control. It's not a money making agenda, it's a "your life saving" agenda.
  • by RN on Mar 8, 2012 at 01:05 PM
    For the most part, I think this is a terrible idea. A lot of people don't know about the different side effects & interactions of medications. And we think that people overuse antibiotics now? Wait until they provide them over the counter. Folks will be taking antibiotics for simple colds. I think that if these drugs become over the counter, we will see a rise in medication-related hospital admissions & dr visits. Just my 2 cents.
      by Anonymous on Mar 9, 2012 at 08:03 AM in reply to RN
      I totally agree...not to mention people that take OTC medications without reading the directions and precautions. It's a lawsuit waiting to happen.
      by Anonymous on Mar 15, 2012 at 11:14 AM in reply to RN
      I srsly doubt they will make antibiotics an OTC med. They already fight with you tooth and nail to prescribe it even when you clearly have a throat infection. They're not about to release those casually.
  • by Blame Obama Location: Morehead on Mar 8, 2012 at 08:30 AM
    No No people not Ritalin Modern day cocain , or oxy's not Grandpas cough syrup. lol. They should ask for id though when getting any meds so there a record and Doctors should drug test. lets see were it goes Because maybe obama care wont cover these items
      by Ken on Mar 8, 2012 at 07:32 PM in reply to Blame Obama
      If illegaly prescribed doctor shopped oxycodone in high dosages was fine for Rush Limbaugh, then schedule 2 controlled substances such as synthetic heroin should be available without a doctor's authorization.
  • by Anonymous on Mar 8, 2012 at 08:30 AM
    Z-Pack all day. Shouldnt have to go to the doctor's office everytime you have a cold just to get a z-pack. Make it over the counter!
      by Anonymous on Mar 8, 2012 at 09:07 AM in reply to
      Antibiotic do nothing for cold except set you up for antibiotic resistant bacteria and death. Any doctor that gives antibiotics for a cold should loose the right to practice medicine.
        by RN on Mar 8, 2012 at 03:03 PM in reply to
        couldn't agree more but as a health care worker, we sure wouldn't have many docs around! tired of seeing them prescribe antibiotics without due reason.
          by Anonymous on Mar 8, 2012 at 04:01 PM in reply to RN
          Maybe without so many doctors we would all be healthier.
      by Anonymous on Mar 15, 2012 at 11:12 AM in reply to
      AntiBIOTIC. Colds are caused by a VIRUS. You're one of those people that is the very reason we have MRSA and medical costs are so high.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 141879913 - witn.com/a?a=141879913