Thursday was move-in day for many East Carolina University students. Classes begin Tuesday. This is the first year freshmen are required to live on campus.
Around 4,000 freshmen are expected to move into 15 residence halls at ecu within the next few days.
Jarvis and Fletcher halls were packed Thursday morning with students, and their families and friends unloading cars and trying to get everything unpacked. This is the first year freshmen are required to live on campus. The majority of freshmen we spoken with said they didn't mind because they already planned to live on campus their first year to make friends and it's very convenient for them. Some parents also said they like the idea.
"Then there's a safety factor. As a parent I feel better for him being on campus where I know there is security," said ECU parent Tony Little.
ECU officials say 97%of freshmen are living on campus. The other 3 percent fell under certain exceptions.