Officials: Washington State Man Electrocuted By Urinating On Power Line

Authorities believe a Washington State man was killed by accidentally urinating on a downed power line after a car crash.

Grays Harbor County sheriff's Deputy Dave Pimentel said Monday 50-year-old Roy Messenger was not seriously hurt after he collided with a power pole Friday and called a relative to pull his car from a ditch.

However, family members found Messenger electrocuted when they arrived.

Pimentel says Messenger apparently urinated into a roadside ditch but didn't see the live wire. The urine stream likely served as a conductor, allowing the electricity to reach his body.

Pimentel says there will be an autopsy but burn marks indicated the way the electricity traveled through Messenger's body.

(Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)


You must be logged in to post comments.

Username:
Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
  • by Speakmymind Location: Greenville, NC on Mar 4, 2010 at 11:42 AM
    To Sherri:OMG have you never urinated out side??? I would say after a crash the "CALL OF NATURE" is a very high priority. At any rate urinating started out side and remaines in force today by many. It is as natural as walking outside. And the feel of freedom makes it all the more relaxing.Try it sometimes. I am a female by the way and I am not stupid... I think you owe this mans family an apology. When will the negegitivity end and human compassion resume.. To the Family my prayers are with you all in this time of great loss. God Bless you all.
  • by Derek Location: Greenville on Mar 3, 2010 at 11:59 AM
    And alcohol was not a factor? Common sense suggests if you are going to pee in a ditch, perhaps its best to look both ways, cross the road safely and pee in the other ditch away from the accident scene, you know the one where you plowed a car into a utility pole?
  • by To sherry... Location: enc on Mar 2, 2010 at 09:47 AM
    Have you no sympathy? Do you honestly think he was marking territory like a dog? I'll bet even Prez. Obama has urinated outside somewhere... Give the man a break!!! He's dead and gone already!
  • by Sherri Location: NC on Mar 2, 2010 at 05:52 AM
    I feel sorry for the family .As for this man stupid comes to mind.And as humans, men included we shouldn't urinate all over everything just because your a male.Its nasty. Humans ,even males are not animals and should not act like animals.Marking your territory isn't something humans do. So Sorry for the loss of the Family.
  • by Anonymous on Mar 1, 2010 at 06:44 PM
    I guess the lesson learned is always assume a downed line when a utility pole has been hit. When its dark, stay in the vehicle if at all possible.
  • by Jeff Location: Winterville on Mar 1, 2010 at 05:51 PM
    Stay away from Power Lines. Call 911 if you see one. They are very dangerous. My prayers go out to this man's family.
  • by Obama Snake Oil Co Location: Washington on Mar 1, 2010 at 04:45 PM
    Doug, while I agree, you cannot be electricuted, I will never forget when one of my nephews dared the other to do just that. I think he forgot what he was supposed to do when it hit....Power lines should never be taken lightly. I watched the twister come down River Road, this past year...I was supprised by the amount of people that just drove under powerlines with a pinetree hanging over it. I can only guess this guy couldn't see the powerline....another senseless death... sorry to the family
  • by Doug Location: ENC on Mar 1, 2010 at 03:56 PM
    Mythbusters proved you couldn't die by urinating on an electric fence. There is a big difference between a high voltage power wire and a low current electric fence.
  • by Vance on Mar 1, 2010 at 03:33 PM
    Man,talk about FINAL DESTINATION! But Geekchic at 5:00PM most not use batteries.
  • by Truth Location: Reality on Mar 1, 2010 at 03:20 PM
    Mythbusters revisited the myth and did a test with an electric fence... which subsequently confirmed that peeing on an electric fence COULD shock you. With the umpfh of a powerline over an electric fence, this could kill. Not to mention that there is a good possibility--after receiving an initial non-lethal shock--the subject could have fallen into the ditch which, no doubt, contained more conductive material... in turn causing more serious injury/death... Who knows... I wasn't there :) Either way... can we say... DOH!
  • Page:
WITN

275 E. Arlington Blvd. Greenville, NC 27858 252-439-7777
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 85845442 - witn.com/a?a=85845442
Gray Television, Inc.