NC Man's Illness From Sucking Piece Of Plastic Into Lung

Doctors say the coughing spells, fatigue and pneumonia spells that plagued a North Carolina man for over a year were likely caused by a piece of a plastic he sucked into his lung by gulping his soda.

The News & Observer of Raleigh reported Thursday that doctors at Duke University Medical Center pulled an inch-long piece of a plastic eating utensil from John Manley's left lung. The 50-year-old Wilmington home remodeler guessed he inhaled it while gulping a drink from a fast-food restaurant.

Dr. Momen Wahidi says foreign objects in the lungs are much more common in children, but he's extracted false teeth, nails, and a peanut from adults. He says adults holding nails or pins in their mouth may suck them into airways and not realize it.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus

275 E. Arlington Blvd. Greenville, NC 27858 252-439-7777
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 59650817 -
Gray Television, Inc.