Man Saves His Best Friend By Sucking Out Venom

A man said he saved his dog's life after sucking venom from a rattlesnake bite out of the animal's nose.

Bobby Jenkins said he began feeling ill after getting his dog, Tank, to a veterinarian. He went to the hospital and received a dose of antivenin.

In all, Jenkins needed four vials of antivenin at a cost of $3,500 per vial.

Meanwhile, Jenkins said his dog's head swelled up to three times its normal size. Tank had been bitten after running under some equipment on the family ranch.

The dog also received antivenin and both Jenkins and his dog have recovered.


You must be logged in to post comments.

Username:
Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
  • by Karen Location: Pitt County on May 24, 2009 at 06:55 PM
    Sure hope he had insurance. But regardless, what a story!
  • by Anonymous on May 24, 2009 at 02:55 AM
    Benadryl tablets also helps animals that have been snake bitten
  • by RT Location: Gvegas on May 23, 2009 at 06:56 PM
    Yea, I guess antivenin is one of those things that they can charge alot for since people will pay anything if they need it. Kinda like gasoline.
  • by Anonymous on May 23, 2009 at 05:29 PM
    boy that was expensive!
  • by Amazed Location: Jacksonville on May 23, 2009 at 03:20 PM
    This is an amazing story! I'm glad that both the dog and the owner recovered! I can't believe how much the anitvenin is!!!
  • by Daniel Location: Grifton on May 23, 2009 at 11:18 AM
    I always thought that dogs had some degree of immunity to snake venom-they just swell up.
WITN

275 E. Arlington Blvd. Greenville, NC 27858 252-439-7777
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 45916447 - witn.com/a?a=45916447
Gray Television, Inc.