Tomato Onion and Cucumber Salad with Pita Bread
Yield: ½ cup
5 medium plum tomatoes
¼ red onion
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
1 whole wheat pita bread
1. Thinly slice tomatoes, onions, and cucumbers. Combine the vegetables with oil and red vinegar. Add salt and pepper to taste.
2. It is best to let stand for about 20 minutes before serving.
3. Serve with a ½ slice of pita bread.
Nutrition Analysis: Calories: 162; Fat Calories: 42; Saturated Fat: .7 grams; Sodium: 180 mg; Carbohydrates: 27.2 grams; Dietary Fiber: 4.7 grams, Protein 5.0 grams
● This is a great way to get in a low fat, highly nutritious snack or side dish.
● Tomatoes are a super food, containing Vitamin C which may prevent illnesses and also helps repair skin and day to day wear and tear of our cells.
● This is also a great way to get in more dietary fiber with the addition of tomatoes, cucumbers, and onions. By leaving the skin on foods such as cucumbers, you gain even more fiber!
● You can also add your favorite spices such as lemon pepper, basil, oregano, or any that you like to spice the recipe up!
● Anyone with a summer garden or farmer's market nearby knows that tomatoes and cucumbers are in and ready to be eaten. With this dish you can eat local and eat well.