While some of us had to pay up at tax time and others have already spent their tax returns, some are still waiting on the refund. But if you are still waiting, is there a chance someone already took it?
Thursday's Scam Alert comes from the North Carolina Department of Justice, which reported getting several calls about identity theft.
According to the Department, identity thieves are stealing Social Security numbers and filing tax returns before the real person files.
The good news is, in most cases, you can work with the IRS to straighten out the mess. Here is how to fix the problem:
- Call the IRS at 1-800-908-4490
- Check your credit report: make sure everything listed is accurate
- Ask for a fraud alert from any of the three national credit bureaus
- Put a security freeze on your credit reports so no new accounts are opened ( click here for more information)
- File a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.