The NCDOT will start collecting storm debris from state maintained roads in some eastern Carolina counties this week.
Crews will be picking up debris in Greene and Wilson counties starting Monday, April 25. Collection will take place in Hertford County beginning Wednesday, April 27.
People should check their homeowners insurance because debris cleanup is covered by insurance and arrangements for its collection will be handled by the insurance company.
NCDOT will be collecting trees and limbs, as well as building materials, but they ask that debris be separated into two separate piles.
If possible, crews ask that debris is cut into five or six-foot pieces and placed on the side of the road, but not in travel lanes.
Major appliances, household hazardous materials such as paint, propane tanks, etc., and other similar materials will not be collected. It is recommended that property owners contact their county emergency management office regarding how to dispose of those items. Furniture will, however, be accepted.
Crews will pick up debris from the following roads in Greene County:
- State Road 1001 from N.C. 903 to the county line
- S.R. 1120 from N.C. 903 to S.R. 1123
- S.R. 1142 from S.R. 1145 to N.C. 903
- S.R. 1146 from S.R. 1147 to S.R. 1142
- N.C. 903 from S.R. 1125 to S.R. 1149
- S.R. 1127 from N.C. 903 to S.R. 1128
- S.R. 1135 from N.C. 903 to S.R. 1132
- S.R. 1149 from N.C. 903 to S.R. 1146
- U.S. 13/N.C. 58 from the intersection of U.S. 13/N.C. 58 to N.C. 903
- S.R. 1247 from N.C. 91 to S.R. 1246
- N.C. 91 from U.S. 13/258/N.C. 903 to S.R. 1248
- S.R. 1358 from N.C. 91 to the end of the road
- S.R. 1359 from S.R. 1358 to the end of the road
- S.R. 1330 from N.C. 91 to S.R. 1328
- S.R. 1329 from S.R. 1330 to the end of the road
- S.R. 1328 from S.R. 1330 to S.R. 1300
- S.R. 1300 from S.R. 1327 to S.R. 1328
- S.R. 1326 from S.R. 1300 to S.R. 1301
- S.R. 1327 from S.R. 1301 to the end of the road
- S.R. 1301 from S.R. 1327 to S.R. 1328
- S.R. 1301 from S.R. 1325 to S.R. 1322
- S.R. 1324 from S.R. 1301 to U.S. 13/285
- S.R. 1322 from S.R. 1301 to U.S. 258
- S.R. 1320 from S.R. 1301 to U.S. 258
- S.R. 1321 from S.R. 1301 to S.R. 1320
- S.R. 1319 from S.R. 1301 to the end of the road
To access the NCDOT secondary road database to get names for the roads listed numerically above, visit https://apps.dot.state.nc.us/srlookup/.
The following roads in Wilson County are designated areas for storm debris pick up:
- 'B7 'B7Quaker Road
- 'B7 Radford Road
- 'B7 Scott Church Road
- 'B7 Wiggins Mill Road
NCDOT will conduct minimal debris pick-up operations in other, less significantly impacted areas until May 2.
The NC DOT will begin collecting debris in Hertford County Wednesday, April 27 on the following roads:
- N.C. 45;
- Christian Harbor Road
- Cullen Road
- Swains Mill Road
- Quebec Road
- Evanstown Road
- Baker Road
- Joyner Road
- Bakertown Road